Taking Discrete Mathematics in August (Help)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's concerns about taking a Discrete Mathematics course after a long break from Math. They seek advice and pointers from others who have been successful in the course. It is suggested to review algebra and proofs, as well as to familiarize oneself with logic and truth tables. It is also mentioned that Discrete Math is different from other math courses, as it focuses more on reasoning and less on calculations. The person is grateful for the advice and plans to utilize forums for any questions and to review algebra and improve their rational thinking skills.
bigk
Hi all,

I am going to be taking Discrete Mathematics in August and my last Math course was about 5 years ago. I am a little intimidated to just 'jump' back into Math especially a course like this one.

Can anyone who was successful give me a few pointers? I ordered the Textbook and will start reviewing, I am also looking in my old Calculus books just to sharpen my mind some.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi bigk, :smile:

In my opinion, reviewing calculus will be useless here, since discrete mathematics doesn't really use much calculus. Instead, review some algebra and review proofs (if your discrete math was like mine, then you'll encounter many proofs!).

The good thing about discrete mathematics is that it's very unlike other math classes. You won't be calculating derivatives and integrals, but you'll be reasoning a lot. Reviewing your new textbook should really help you. And don't forget posting any questions you have here on PF :smile:

A proper discrete math course should begin with a discussion of logic, what it means for something to be a statement and what it means for a statement to have a truth value. You'll have fun drawing truth tables.

In fact, thinking back on my discrete class, we did not utilize any knowledge from Calculus until the very end of the course. Most of the material required being comfortable with algebra and the possession of an ability to think rationally and spatially.

Thank you for the input! I will definitely be coming to physics forums for my questions. In the past I would usually just search and find my relevant question.

I guess I will start with reviewing all of my Algebra and begin to think more rationally! :approve:

for reaching out and seeking help! Taking a course like Discrete Mathematics after a long break from math can definitely be intimidating. However, with the right approach and mindset, you can succeed in this course. Here are a few pointers that may help you:

1. Start reviewing early: It's great that you have already ordered the textbook and are planning to review your old Calculus books. This will definitely help you refresh your math skills. I would suggest starting your review as soon as possible so that you have enough time to cover all the necessary topics before the course starts.

2. Seek additional resources: In addition to your textbook, there are many online resources available that can help you with understanding the concepts in Discrete Mathematics. You can also join online study groups or forums where you can discuss difficult topics with other students and get help from experienced mathematicians.

3. Practice, practice, practice: Math is a subject that requires a lot of practice to truly understand and master. Make sure to do as many practice problems as you can. This will not only help you understand the concepts better, but also improve your problem-solving skills.

4. Don't be afraid to ask for help: If you are struggling with a particular topic, don't hesitate to reach out to your professor or classmates for help. They are there to support you and can provide valuable insights and explanations.

5. Stay organized and manage your time effectively: Discrete Mathematics can be a challenging course, so it's important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make a study schedule and stick to it, and don't leave everything for the last minute.

Remember, with dedication and hard work, you can overcome any challenges and succeed in this course. Best of luck!

1. What is Discrete Mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects, such as integers, graphs, and logical statements. It is a fundamental area of mathematics that has applications in computer science, engineering, and other fields.

2. Why should I take Discrete Mathematics in August?

August is a great time to take Discrete Mathematics because it is typically offered during the summer session, allowing you to focus on just one class. It also gives you the opportunity to retake the course in the fall if needed, without delaying your graduation timeline.

3. What topics are covered in Discrete Mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics covers a wide range of topics, including set theory, logic, proofs, number theory, combinatorics, graph theory, and algorithms. These topics are essential for understanding and solving problems in computer science and other fields.

4. Is Discrete Mathematics a difficult course?

Discrete Mathematics can be challenging for some students because it requires a different way of thinking compared to other math courses. It involves abstract concepts and requires logical reasoning and problem-solving skills. However, with dedication and practice, it is a manageable course.

5. How can I prepare for Discrete Mathematics in August?

To prepare for Discrete Mathematics in August, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus. You can also review topics such as logic and proofs to familiarize yourself with the course material. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills will be beneficial.