Taking the derivative of a function (looks easy but I don't know how to do it)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
appplejack
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


f(x) = x(x-5)^4


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I used product rule and chain rule so,
1(x-5)^4 + 4x(x-5)^3(1)

The answer to this question is 5(x-5)^3(x-1). I left it like the answer above. I don't know how to expand (x-5)^4. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
appplejack said:

Homework Statement


f(x) = x(x-5)^4


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I used product rule and chain rule so,
1(x-5)^4 + 4x(x-5)^3(1)

The answer to this question is 5(x-5)^3(x-1). I left it like the answer above. I don't know how to expand (x-5)^4. Thanks.

Your differentiation looks right. Just factorise out the [itex](x-5)^3[/itex] and you should be able to get it in that form.
 
appplejack said:

Homework Statement


f(x) = x(x-5)^4


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I used product rule and chain rule so,
1(x-5)^4 + 4x(x-5)^3(1)

The answer to this question is 5(x-5)^3(x-1). I left it like the answer above. I don't know how to expand (x-5)^4. Thanks.

Don't expand (x-5)^4. Factor (x-5)^3 out of both terms of your answer and collect what's left.
 
No expansion is necessary, simply rewrite it as [itex](x-5)(x-5)^3[/itex]. Then you'll have a term [itex]x(x-5)^3[/itex] and [itex]-5(x-5)^3[/itex].