Taking the Limit of this fraction involving trig functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
14 replies · 2K views
Memo
Messages
35
Reaction score
3
Poster reminded to always show their work when starting schoolwork threads
Homework Statement
Lim (x->0) (cosx-sqrt(cos2x))/tan^2(x)
x∈(-π/4;π/4)\{0}
Relevant Equations
lim (x->x0) (1-cosa*f(x))/[f(x)]^2=a^2/2
Can't attempt to solve the task.
I'd appreciate it a lot if you could help!
368064999_867353445000190_1304311522445404453_n.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can express [tex] f(x) = \frac{\cos x - \sqrt{\cos 2x}}{\tan^2 x}[/tex] in terms of [itex]\cos x[/itex] using basic trig identities. What can you do with [tex] \lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 0} g(\cos x)?[/tex]
 
Memo said:
lim (x->0) g * lim(x->0) cosx
You are misunderstanding #2. This is not how limits of a function of a function works.
 
Memo said:
lim (x->0) g * lim(x->0) cosx
I think you should get the limit into a form where it is explicitly a function of ##\cos x## and take it from there.
 
1698765444286.png

this is what my teacher gave me. Yes, I don't understand him/her. Not sure if he/she's telling me to convert the function into that form or what, I don't see how it would turn out and just answered within my knowledge
 
Memo said:
View attachment 334560
this is what my teacher gave me. Yes, I don't understand him/her. Not sure if he/she's telling me to convert the function into that form or what, I don't see how it would turn out and just answered within my knowledge
PeroK said:
I think you should get the limit into a form where it is explicitly a function of ##\cos x## and take it from there.
 
Memo said:
I was replying to #4. This is as far as I can get to, sorry.
View attachment 334562
I can't see what you have on the right hand side. That doesn't look as helpful as I'd hoped.

Do you know l'hospital's rule?
 
Write it as [tex] (\cos^2 x)\frac{\cos x - \sqrt{2\cos^2 x - 1}}{1 - \cos^2 x} = u^2 \frac{u - \sqrt{2u^2 - 1}}{1 - u^2}[/tex]
 
pasmith said:
Write it as [tex] (\cos^2 x)\frac{\cos x - \sqrt{2\cos^2 x - 1}}{1 - \cos^2 x} = u^2 \frac{u - \sqrt{2u^2 - 1}}{1 - u^2}[/tex]
Could you tell me what happens after that?
 
pasmith said:
You can express [tex] f(x) = \frac{\cos x - \sqrt{\cos 2x}}{\tan^2 x}[/tex] in terms of [itex]\cos x[/itex] using basic trig identities. What can you do with [tex] \lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = \lim_{x \to 0} g(\cos x)?[/tex]
While a tractable path, I’d say it would be slightly more transparent to factorize out cos(x) and write the rest in terms of tan(x). This also directly uses the result regarding the product of limits the teacher apparently referred to.
 
You can also use the limit definition of continuity. If g is continuous at ##x_0##, then, ##lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}g(x)=g(lim_{x\rightarrow x_0})##
 
Here's another idea. Multiply top and bottom by the conjugate of numerator to get rid of the square root.

PS This works nicely!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS and DeBangis21
Memo said:
I was replying to #4. This is as far as I can get to, sorry.
View attachment 334562

Use the expression in the above image (post #8) - well, most importantly use the numerator.

##\displaystyle \dfrac{ \cos x-\sqrt{ 2\cos^2x -1 \, } } {\tan^2x}##

Then do as @PeroK suggested in the preceding post.
 
Last edited: