1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking the limit of this as s-> 0 (algebra based)

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi all, this may sound trivial but I've been like cranking my brains on this. Probably I just cant see it. Will need someone to shed some light.

Taking the limit of [(1/s)(a-b)/(s^2 + cs + a)] as s-> 0

2. Relevant equations

Stated above

3. The attempt at a solution

By using L'Hopital rule, I know this limit tends to 0 itself. However, I just cant manipulate the expression algebraically to obtain the same limit of 0. I'm just unable to cancel out that 'solo' s at the denominator. Hence, it appears to me that the limit shoots up to infinity as s-> 0 through algebraic means. I know this is incorrect but I just couldnt figure it out.

Please kindly help me in guiding me along.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2008 #2
    You can't use l'Hopital's rule here, because the fraction is not of the form "0/0" or "inf/inf". I understadn what you wrote as
    \lim_{s\to 0}\frac{\frac{1}{s}(a-b)}{s^2+cs+a}
    The numerator tends to infinity, the denominator however tends to a, so yes, the expression "blows up" as s-->0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?