1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent Line and Coordinates of Trigonometric Function

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are infinitely many points on the curve y = [tex]\frac{sin x}{\sqrt{2}- cos x}[/tex] at which the tangent line to this curve is horizontal. Find the x- and y-coordinates of one such point.

2. Relevant equations

y' = slope of the tangent line
    Etc., etc.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know you have to take the derivative of the given equation, and at first, I tried using the quotient rule, but I got nowhere with that. Then I tried rationalizing the [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], but that didn't really get me anywhere either. I also have no idea how to find the x- and y-coordinates.

All help is greatly appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2
    Nothing needs to be done with [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], it is a constant. What's the derivative of a constant? (btw, [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is an irrational number which is why you couldn't rationalize it.)

The coordinates are the x and y-values of the function and y=f(x) so, (x,y)=(x,f(x))
  4. May 1, 2010 #3
    To the OP, please show us your work in taking the derivative using the quotient rule. I did the same and got a particularly pleasing answer.
  5. May 2, 2010 #4
    I got something like [tex]\frac{1-cos^2(x)}{2-cos^2(x)}[/tex].
    I'm not sure if this right at all. My prowess with the quotient rule is shoddy at best.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook