Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tangent Line and Coordinates of Trigonometric Function

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are infinitely many points on the curve y = [tex]\frac{sin x}{\sqrt{2}- cos x}[/tex] at which the tangent line to this curve is horizontal. Find the x- and y-coordinates of one such point.

2. Relevant equations

y' = slope of the tangent line
    Etc., etc.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know you have to take the derivative of the given equation, and at first, I tried using the quotient rule, but I got nowhere with that. Then I tried rationalizing the [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], but that didn't really get me anywhere either. I also have no idea how to find the x- and y-coordinates.

All help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2
    Nothing needs to be done with [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], it is a constant. What's the derivative of a constant? (btw, [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is an irrational number which is why you couldn't rationalize it.)

The coordinates are the x and y-values of the function and y=f(x) so, (x,y)=(x,f(x))

4. May 1, 2010 #3
    To the OP, please show us your work in taking the derivative using the quotient rule. I did the same and got a particularly pleasing answer.

5. May 2, 2010 #4
    I got something like [tex]\frac{1-cos^2(x)}{2-cos^2(x)}[/tex].
    I'm not sure if this right at all. My prowess with the quotient rule is shoddy at best.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook