Tangent line that passes through origin

In summary, the task was to find a value of a that would make the tangent line to the graph of f(x) = x^{2}e^{-x} at x = a pass through the origin. The solution involved finding the derivative of the function, setting up the equation for a line through the origin, and solving for a. The final answer is a = 1.
crybllrd

Homework Statement

Find a > 0 such that the tangent line to the graph of

f(x) = [itex]x^{2}[/itex]e[itex]^{-x}[/itex] at x = a passes through the origin.
15dpf06.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the derivative to be:

[itex]-e^{-x}(x-2)x[/itex]

, which is the slope of the function.

I know the tangent line must pass through the origin (0,0), but I'm a bit stuck.

I took a year off from math and am trying to get back into math mode. Any help to lead me to the next step would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe this is the way
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent
find f '(x) and than substitute x=a
use point-slopre formula and substitude k=f '(a) inside, than epress from there y
than y=x=0 (through origin)
and ... tell me your result

Last edited:
Formula for a line through the origin is y = mx

At a, y=f(a), m=f'(a), x=a

you are right (my k is yours m,)

Last edited:
continuing from Joffan and Elliptic: find where f'(x)x = f(x) = a. find f'(a). at that point you are basically done.

Thanks guys for the responses.

Here's what I have so far:

[itex]f(a)=a^{2}-e^{-a}[/itex]

[itex]f '(a)=-e^{-a}(a-2)a[/itex][itex]y=f '(a)(x-a)+f(a)[/itex]

which gave me

[itex]a=0,3 [/itex](zero is not in the domain, so three is the only solution)

There must be an error, just looking at it graphically I know that 'a' must be before the extrema (2).

I found my error.
I missed a negative sign :/
My final answer is a=1.
The problem doesn't require it, but I checked my answer by graphing the tangent line using y=f '(a)x, and it worked out.

thanks again for all your help.

Yes, a=1. Well done.

1. What is a tangent line that passes through the origin?

A tangent line that passes through the origin is a line that touches a curve at only one point (the point of tangency) and also passes through the point (0,0) on the coordinate plane.

2. How is the slope of a tangent line that passes through the origin calculated?

The slope of a tangent line that passes through the origin can be calculated by finding the derivative of the function at the point of tangency. This derivative is the slope of the tangent line.

3. What does it mean for a function to have a horizontal tangent line that passes through the origin?

If a function has a horizontal tangent line that passes through the origin, it means that the slope of the function at that point is 0. This indicates a local maximum or minimum point on the curve.

4. Can a tangent line that passes through the origin intersect the curve at any other point?

No, a tangent line that passes through the origin can only intersect the curve at one point (the point of tangency). This is because the line must only touch the curve at that specific point and not cross it at any other point.

5. How can a tangent line that passes through the origin be used to approximate the curve?

A tangent line that passes through the origin can be used to approximate the curve by finding the point of intersection between the tangent line and the x-axis. This point can be used as an estimate for the x-intercept of the curve.