Tangent Line to f(x) Without Specified Point

In summary, the question is asking for an equation of the tangent to the graph of f(x)= -sin^2x + 1/2, with an angle of 135° with the x-axis. The student is unsure how to find the point and has attempted to use the value of 135° from the unit circle, but it is not within the given range. They are considering using √2/2 from sin(2∏ - 3∏/4) as an alternative. They are seeking clarification on what they may be overlooking.
johnstobbart

Homework Statement

Hello again.

The question asks me to find an equation of the tangent to the graph:

[tex]f(x)= - sin^2 x + 1/2, x \epsilon [0, \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

which makes an angle of 135° with the x-axis (measure anti-clockwise from the positive x-axis). Assume that the scales along the x- and y- axis are the same.

I just don't know how to find the point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was took the 135° value from the unit circle, which I think is:
[tex]\frax{3\pi}{4} [/tex]
and worked with that as my x-coordinate.

The problem is that the question states that x ε [0, ∏/2], which means that 3∏/4 can't be x.

The only other value I can think of getting is:
√2/2 from sin(2∏ - 3∏/4).

What am I overlooking?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a tangent line to f(x) without a specified point?

A tangent line to f(x) without a specified point is a line that touches the graph of the function at only one point, without being defined by a specific point on the graph.

2. How do you find the tangent line to f(x) without a specified point?

To find the tangent line to f(x) without a specified point, you will need to use the slope of the function at that point. This can be found by taking the derivative of the function and then plugging in the x-value of the point in question. The resulting slope can then be used to create an equation for the tangent line.

3. Why is it important to understand tangent lines to f(x) without a specified point?

Understanding tangent lines to f(x) without a specified point can help in determining the overall behavior of a function. It can also be used to approximate the behavior of the function at points where the function is not defined, or where the graph may be discontinuous.

4. Are there any limitations to using the tangent line to f(x) without a specified point?

Yes, there are limitations to using the tangent line to f(x) without a specified point. This method only provides an approximation of the behavior of the function at a particular point, and may not accurately represent the behavior of the function as a whole. Additionally, it may not be applicable for functions with more complex behavior.

5. Can the tangent line to f(x) without a specified point be used to find the equation of the function?

No, the tangent line to f(x) without a specified point only provides information about the slope of the function at a specific point. It cannot be used to determine the full equation of the function, as it does not take into account other important components such as the y-intercept and higher order terms.