1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent line toa curve that minimizes the area of a triangle

1. Jan 6, 2008 #1
    Sorry if the title is a bit vague :/

The Problem: Find the point on the parabola y=1-x^2 at which the tangent line cuts from the first quadrant a triangle with the smallest area.

Relevant Equations: y = 1-x^2 ; y' = -2x ; A= 1/2bh

I'm basically stuck near square one, I found this site through a google search of the above problem and found a similar topic here, but it wasn't quite the same (or at least I didn't see how to relate my problem to it) so I'd like to ask someone to help me out here :)

What I have so far is that the derivative of the tangent line to the curve is -2x. Where should I go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2008 #2
    Aha

Through a closer look at the problem and running through it a lot in my mind and looking again at the other topic I think I have figured it out. Thanks to anyone who was or is working on replying (if any, lol). All I had to do was change A= 1/2 bh to A= 1/2 xy and I know that any point on the parabola is P(p,1-p^2) so I was able to go from here :) Always makes me feel good when I figure things out :D

4. Jan 6, 2008 #3
    Ah! I was trying for ya on/off :p GJ! At least now I've gained another way of approaching random problems.

5. Jan 6, 2008 #4
    hmmm, i may be stuck again, if i find A(p) by setting it equal to 1/2 * (p^2+1)/2p * (p^2+1) i get that A(p) = p^4+2p^2+2/4p and by differentiating this to find its critical numbers to find a min, i get -4p^2+40p+8/4p^4. Now, in order for this to be 0, -4p^2+40p+8 has to be 0. I've tried to use the quadratic formula for this but I keep getting wierd roots that don't even make it 0. Am I doing something wrong? sorry for the early cancellation lol :/ :stumped:

I'll keep trying but any help is appreciated :)

6. Jan 6, 2008 #5
    I'm not sure what you did, but this is how I'm starting out.

[tex]A=\frac 1 2 xy[/tex]
    [tex]y=1-x^2[/tex]

[tex]A(x)=\frac 1 2 x(1-x^2)[/tex]
    [tex]A(x)=\frac 1 2 (x-x^3)[/tex]

[tex]A'(x)=\frac 1 2 (1-3x^2)[/tex]

Setting it equal to 0, and then plugging in the values found into my y-eq.

7. Jan 6, 2008 #6
    Wow i completely overlooked that :/ I used a wrong reference point, man i did a lot of extra worthless work :/ at least it was kind of fun and interesting lol Thanks a ton I'll see if I can finish with that, I'm working on a couple other problems now, 3 to be exact and I think I'm doing ok, only 1 is giving me problems right now :/ maybe you can help :)

it appears simple : find highest and lowest points of curve x^2+xy+y^2=12

By implicit differentiation i get that y' = 2x+y / 2y+x . Is that right? if so I don't know what i can do to move on with the problem. I suppose I have to make it zero somehow ?? its always the simple concepts that get me...

8. Jan 6, 2008 #7
    Lol, at least you got both of us started on that problem. I was lost on what to do :-]

I think you forgot the product rule for your middle term, xy. You weren't given any points?

Well by just plugging in values, the points are P(2,2) b/c that equals 12.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  9. Jan 6, 2008 #8
    no the exact wording is: "Find the highest and lowest points on the curve x^2+xy+y^2=12"

I did D(x) (x^2 + xy + y^2) = D(x) (12)

= 2x + y +xy' + 2yy' = 0

the y + xy' is a result of the product rule (unless i messed up)

=2yy'+xy' = 2x+y

=y'(2y+x) = 2x+y

= y' = 2x+y / 2y+x

10. Jan 6, 2008 #9
    Ah yes you're right, I messed up sorry.

11. Jan 6, 2008 #10
    heh np, i've done worse :P

12. Jan 6, 2008 #11
    Well the way I went about this is, that when y=0 for f', then that tells me that my f is at a max/min, so [tex]y'=\frac{2x+y}{2y+x}[/tex]

set y=0, that gives me y'=2, which is the same as P(2,2) from which our original equation equals 12.

13. Jan 6, 2008 #12
    ah, didn't think of that. what about the other extrema? set x=0 ? that would give me y=1/2 no?

14. Jan 6, 2008 #13
    I'm not sure about that, I wish I could plug it into my calculator. LOL

15. Jan 6, 2008 #14
    lol same, quick question, from y'=2, how did you get P(2,2) I may just be overlooking that aswell. I thought i got it but now i realized i messed up.

16. Jan 6, 2008 #15
    Ah, I just read my Calculus book and we need to do it over again. It says to set y'=0, and basically just set the numerator equal to 0.

[tex]y'=\frac{2x+y}{2y+x}[/tex]

[tex]y'=0=2x+y[/tex]

[tex]y=-2x[/tex]

So plug that back into our original equation ...

[tex]x^2+x(-2x)+(-2x)^2=12[/tex]

Set it equal to 0 and solve for x. Then plug it back into the numerator of our y'.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  17. Jan 6, 2008 #16
    lol ok, from where? :)

18. Jan 6, 2008 #17
    Ok sorry, refresh!!! I just updated after figuring out what my book did.

19. Jan 6, 2008 #18
    so 3x^2-12=0 ?

20. Jan 6, 2008 #19
    wait wait wait duh, can't i just go x^2=4 and my roots are +/- 2 ??

21. Jan 6, 2008 #20
    Yes, those are the roots and just plug back into the numerator of y'.

Are there answers and what book is this from?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?