Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent Lines of Parametric Equations

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    My book really doesn't go into a lot of depth but I was wondering if this is correct

If we are asked to find the tangent line of a specific value of t for a given parametric equation then we can find the equation of the tangent line in either rectangular or parametric functions.

Rectangular Mode
    We need dy/dx and the point at the specific t value, say [itex](x_o,y_o)[/itex] is our point.
    The tangent line is:

[tex]y-y_o = \frac{dy}{dx}(x-x_o)[/tex]

Parametric Mode
    We need dy/dt, dx/dt, and the point at the specific t value, once again say [itex](x_o,y_o)[/itex].

[tex]x(t) = \frac{dx}{dt}t+x_o[/tex]

[tex]y(t) = \frac{dy}{dt}t+y_o[/tex]

Is that correct?

Also could someone explain how we derive dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.
    From the slope of the function to which the tangent line is tangent at (x_0, y_0).

4. Nov 1, 2007 #3
    Ok, thanks^^

I should be more specific:

My text gives this definition for dy/dx

"The Chain Rule states that the derivative dy/dx for the parametric curve is the ratio of dy/dt to dx/dt." But I cannot see where they got that from. They then go on to say "d^2y/dx^2 can be derived in the same manner". Could you explain it a little more, I'm a bit confused? >.>

5. Nov 2, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let D be the partial derivative operator.

If y(t) = f(x(t)), or with some abuse of notation y(t) = y(x(t)), how do you write Dy/Dt?

6. Nov 3, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The chain rule. dy/dx= dy/dt dt/dx= (dy/dt)/(dx/dt). Saying "d^2y/dx^2 can be derived n the same manner" is little misleading- it's much more complicated. Notice tha they don't give that formula!

d^2y/dx^2= d(dy/dx)/dx= (1/(dx/dt)) d((dy/dt)/(dx/dt))/dt and you have to use the quotient rule for the last part.

7. Nov 4, 2007 #6
    Ah seeing y(t) = f(x(t)) makes it clear to me

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{dy}{dx}*\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Which we rearrange to get:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?