Tangent Plane to two parametric curves which intersect

In summary, the problem involves finding the equation of the tangent plane to a surface S at the point P(2,1,3). The given curves r1(t) and r2(u) both lie on the surface, and the equation for a plane is used to find the tangent plane at P. The partial derivatives of the curves at the point P are needed to find the tangent plane.
Vadermort

Homework Statement

Suppose you need to know an equation of the tangent plane to a surface S at the point P(2,1,3). You don't know the equation for S but you know that the curves

r1(t)=<2+3t,1-t^2,3-4t+t^2>

r2(u)=<1+u^2,2u^3-1,2u+1>

both lie on S. Find an equation of the tangent plane at P.

Homework Equations

z-z0=a(x-x0)+b(y-y0) The equation for a plane where a=fx(x0,y0) and b=fy(x0,y0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that r1 and r2 intercept at P when u=1 and t=0, so I think x0=2, y0=1, and z0=3 but I'm not sure how to find the partial derivatives with respect to x and y of the plane. I tried taking dz/dt divided by dy/dt and comparing it with dz/du divided by dy/du but I got different answers for the two intercepting curves so I don't know what to do. Do I need to find an orthogonal vector- if so, how do I do that :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Vadermort said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you need to know an equation of the tangent plane to a surface S at the point P(2,1,3). You don't know the equation for S but you know that the curves

r1(t)=<2+3t,1-t^2,3-4t+t^2>

r2(u)=<1+u^2,2u^3-1,2u+1>

both lie on S. Find an equation of the tangent plane at P.

Homework Equations

z-z0=a(x-x0)+b(y-y0) The equation for a plane where a=fx(x0,y0) and b=fy(x0,y0)
What you have just given looks to me like the procedure for finding the plane which is tangent to the surface given by z = f(x,y) at the point (x0, y0, z0).

That's not what you have in this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that r1 and r2 intercept at P when u=1 and t=0, so I think x0=2, y0=1, and z0=3 but I'm not sure how to find the partial derivatives with respect to x and y of the plane. I tried taking dz/dy divided by dy/dt but I got different answers for the two intercepting curves so I don't know what to do.
What you need for this problem is to take the derivatives of r1 and r2: [itex]\displaystyle \vec{v}_1(t)=\frac{d}{dt}\vec{r}_1(t)\,,\text{ and }\vec{v}_2(u)=\frac{d}{du}\vec{r}_2(u)\,,[/itex] evaluated at t = 0 and u = 1 respectively.

The plane may be described parametrically by, [itex]<x,\,y,\,z>=<x_0,\,y_0,\,z_0> +\ \vec{v}_1(t_0)t+\vec{v}_2(u_0)u\ .[/itex]

Truly only this talking dog can express my love for you, man.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a tangent plane to two parametric curves?

A tangent plane to two parametric curves is a plane that touches both curves at a specific point, with the same slope as the curves at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change or slope of the curves at that point.

How is the tangent plane calculated?

The tangent plane is calculated using the partial derivatives of the two parametric curves at the point of intersection. The normal vector of the plane is the cross product of the two partial derivatives, and the point of intersection is used to determine the equation of the plane.

What is the significance of the tangent plane to two parametric curves?

The tangent plane provides important information about the behavior of the two curves at the point of intersection. It can be used to determine the direction of the curves, the rate of change, and the relationship between the two curves at that point.

Are there any special cases when calculating the tangent plane?

Yes, there are special cases where the tangent plane may not exist. This can occur if the two parametric curves are parallel, or if they do not intersect at a single point.

How is the tangent plane used in real-world applications?

The tangent plane has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze the behavior of curves in motion, to calculate rates of change, and to create 3D surfaces from intersecting curves.