Tangent plane to a surface, no need for cross product?

In summary, The tangent plane equation z-z0 = f{x}(x0,y0)(x-x0) + f{y}(x0,y0)(y-y0) does not require the use of a cross product to obtain the normal vector for the plane. The cross product is already built into the equation and can be obtained by parametrizing the surface. The partial derivatives f{x} and f{y} represent the slope of the two variable function, but in 3D, it is more accurate to refer to them as directions rather than slopes. Thus, the equation is essentially the same as the regular plane equation.
d86
For tangent plane equation
z-z0 = [itex]f{x}[/itex](x0,y0)(x-x0) + [itex]f{y}[/itex](x0,y0)(y-y0)

how come there is no cross product of the partial derivatives [itex]f{x}[/itex] X [itex]f{y}[/itex] to give the normal vector for the plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
d86 said:
For tangent plane equation
z-z0 = [itex]f{x}[/itex](x0,y0)(x-x0) + [itex]f{y}[/itex](x0,y0)(y-y0)

how come there is no cross product of the partial derivatives [itex]f{x}[/itex] X [itex]f{y}[/itex] to give the normal vector for the plane?

The cross product is already built in. If you parametrize the surface as x = x, y = y, z = f(x,y) you have the parameterization

R(x,y) = < x, y, f(x,y)>

Then Rx = < 1, 0, fx>
Ry = <0, 1, fy>

n = Rx X Ry= <-fx, -fy, 1> or you can change the signs <fx, fy, -1>.

Using that normal and the point (x0,y0,z0> gives you the same equation you have.

i see
so as long as the slopes of two intersecting lines are known, the plane they are on can be defined that way w/o going through the cross product?

d86 said:
i see
so as long as the slopes of two intersecting lines are known, the plane they are on can be defined that way w/o going through the cross product?

In 3D we don't talk about "slopes", only directions. But I don't see what you are getting at with this comment. You would get the normal by crossing the two direction vectors.

i just got confused by why the equation looked different from the regular plane equation. i see that it's the same thing now. the book does refer to [itex]f_{x}[/itex] and [itex]f_{y}[/itex] as slopes tho.

d86 said:
i just got confused by why the equation looked different from the regular plane equation. i see that it's the same thing now. the book does refer to [itex]f_{x}[/itex] and [itex]f_{y}[/itex] as slopes tho.

Yes. The partials represent the slope of a two variable function where you hold the other variable constant. They are sometimes called "the slope in the x or y direction". Still, for a general straight line in 3-space, you wouldn't use the term slope.

1. What is a tangent plane to a surface?

A tangent plane to a surface is a plane that touches the surface at exactly one point. It is perpendicular to the surface's normal vector at that point.

2. Why is it important to find the tangent plane to a surface?

Finding the tangent plane to a surface is important because it allows us to approximate the behavior of the surface at a specific point. This can be useful in many applications, such as in engineering and physics.

3. Do you always need to use the cross product to find the tangent plane?

No, the cross product is only necessary when the surface is given in parametric form. If the surface is given in implicit form, we can use the gradient vector to find the normal vector and then the tangent plane.

4. Can the tangent plane have more than one point of intersection with the surface?

No, the tangent plane can only intersect the surface at one point. This is because the tangent plane is defined as being perpendicular to the surface's normal vector at that point.

5. How can we use the tangent plane to approximate the behavior of a surface?

The tangent plane can be used to approximate the behavior of a surface by finding the slope of the tangent line on the plane in a particular direction. This can give us an idea of how the surface is changing at that point.