1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent plane to a surface, no need for cross product?

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1

d86

For tangent plane equation
    z-z0 = [itex]f{x}[/itex](x0,y0)(x-x0) + [itex]f{y}[/itex](x0,y0)(y-y0)

how come there is no cross product of the partial derivatives [itex]f{x}[/itex] X [itex]f{y}[/itex] to give the normal vector for the plane?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The cross product is already built in. If you parametrize the surface as x = x, y = y, z = f(x,y) you have the parameterization

R(x,y) = < x, y, f(x,y)>

Then Rx = < 1, 0, fx>
    Ry = <0, 1, fy>

n = Rx X Ry= <-fx, -fy, 1> or you can change the signs <fx, fy, -1>.

Using that normal and the point (x0,y0,z0> gives you the same equation you have.

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3

d86

i see
    so as long as the slopes of two intersecting lines are known, the plane they are on can be defined that way w/o going through the cross product?

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In 3D we don't talk about "slopes", only directions. But I don't see what you are getting at with this comment. You would get the normal by crossing the two direction vectors.

6. Oct 10, 2011 #5

d86

i just got confused by why the equation looked different from the regular plane equation. i see that it's the same thing now. the book does refer to [itex]f_{x}[/itex] and [itex]f_{y}[/itex] as slopes tho.

7. Oct 10, 2011 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. The partials represent the slope of a two variable function where you hold the other variable constant. They are sometimes called "the slope in the x or y direction". Still, for a general straight line in 3-space, you wouldn't use the term slope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook