Tangent Planes to Graphs of Functions from Rn->Rm

In summary: However, I think it would be helpful to see a visual representation of what is happening when one uses Edwards' algorithm versus the method on the math.stanford.edu webpage. So if you have time, could you please create a plot of the function f(x) versus x using Edwards' method and then plot the function f(x) versus x using the method on the math.stanford.edu webpage? That would be great.
Disinterred
1. This is problem 2.10 from the book "Calculus of Several Variables by C.H Edwards":

Let the mapping F: R2->R2 be defined by F(x1 , x2) = (sin(x1 - x2), cos(x1 + x2)). Find the linear equations of the tangent plane in R4 to the graph of F at the point (PI/4, PI/4, 0 , 0 )

The attempt at a solution

First off, I would greatly appreciate if anyone knew any other references (books/webpages) on this topic. So far the only book I found that discusses tangent planes to n+m dimensional graphs is Edwards and this page: math.stanford.edu/~genauer/TangentGraph.pdf. The latter of which does not give enough motivation (to me atleast) for their solution of the problem, but I can reproduce their results easily for the question in Edwards.

But I would like to use the method outlined in Edward's book to solve this question. He solves for the linear equations of a tangent plane in an example for the graph of a function F:R2->R4 where F(x1, x2) = (x2,x1,x1*x2, (x1)^2 - (x1)^2) at the point (a, F(a)) where a = (1,2)

He starts off by finding the image of the linear mapping dFa:R2->R4. by computing the derivative matrix and then separating this matrix into two column vectors which would span the image space.

Then he finds the orthogonal complement to the image space of dFa which is of dimension 4-2=2, and using the column vectors from this to write an equation of the form Ax=0
where A is the matrix made up of the column vectors that span the orthogonal complement set and x being a m dimensional point an element of the image space.

and finally to get the full form for the equation(s) of the tangent plane at the point F(a) he explicitly writes out the translated equation A( x - F(a) ) = 0

Now here's my problem, for the question I stated, the orthogonal complement has dimension 2-2 = 0, so I cannot proceed by Edwards "algorithm" for finding tangent planes for this function. I can however find an answer via the method proposed on the stanford.edu site, but I only understand their method on a very superficial level.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Disinterred

Physics news on Phys.org
Since that function is from [itex]R^2[/itex] to [itex]R^2[/itex], its derivative is a 2 by 2 matrix (more correctly, it is the linear transformation defined by that matrix)
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial sin(x_1- x_2}{\partial x_1} & \frac{\partial cos(x_1- x_2)}{\partial x_1} \\ \frac{\partial sin(x_1- x_2}{\partial x_2} & \frac{\partial cos(x_1- x_2)}{\partial x_2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= \begin{bmatrix}cos(x_1- x_2) & - sin(x_1- x_2) \\ -cos(x_1- x_2) & sin(x_1- x_2)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

At [itex]x_1= x_2= \pi/4[/itex] [itex]x_1- x_2= 0[/itex]. cos(0)= 1, sin(0)= 0 so that is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ -1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and since the function value there is (0, 0), the plane is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}y_1 \\ y_2\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ -1 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Since that function is from [itex]R^2[/itex] to [itex]R^2[/itex], its derivative is a 2 by 2 matrix (more correctly, it is the linear transformation defined by that matrix)
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial sin(x_1- x_2}{\partial x_1} & \frac{\partial cos(x_1- x_2)}{\partial x_1} \\ \frac{\partial sin(x_1- x_2}{\partial x_2} & \frac{\partial cos(x_1- x_2)}{\partial x_2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= \begin{bmatrix}cos(x_1- x_2) & - sin(x_1- x_2) \\ -cos(x_1- x_2) & sin(x_1- x_2)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

At [itex]x_1= x_2= \pi/4[/itex] [itex]x_1- x_2= 0[/itex]. cos(0)= 1, sin(0)= 0 so that is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ -1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and since the function value there is (0, 0), the plane is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}y_1 \\ y_2\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ -1 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Thank you for your help! I get this answer too using the method proposed on that website I posted. But is it possible at all to use Edward's method? I know Edward's method is equivalent (atleast from his example in the book) to the method you just posted here since they both arrive at the same answer, but it seems to break down for my question since a orthogonal complement set cannot be found for the problem. In any case, I will investigate it and post here if I find a resolution.

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Okay I figured out my problem, in the example in Edwards he finds the derivative matrix of the differential of the function f, which for my question would be a 2x2 matrix and thus the orthogonal complement would be a 2-2 = 0 dimensional space. What instead I need to do in this question is find the derivative matrix of the graph of F, which is a 4x2 matrix. Then the orthogonal complement will be a 4-2=2 dimensional space and then we can proceed as normal via Edwards algorithm.

When I did this, I get the the exact same answer as I would get if I used the method outlined on the math.standford.edu webpage (i.e. the answer HallofIvy gets)

Cheers
Disinterred

Disinterred said:
Okay I figured out my problem, in the example in Edwards he finds the derivative matrix of the differential of the function f, which for my question would be a 2x2 matrix and thus the orthogonal complement would be a 2-2 = 0 dimensional space. What instead I need to do in this question is find the derivative matrix of the graph of F, which is a 4x2 matrix. Then the orthogonal complement will be a 4-2=2 dimensional space and then we can proceed as normal via Edwards algorithm.

When I did this, I get the the exact same answer as I would get if I used the method outlined on the math.standford.edu webpage (i.e. the answer HallofIvy gets)

Cheers
Disinterred

Hey guys,
I would appreciate if you could explain to me how do you get derivative matrix (4x2) of the "graph" of F in your last post? and what are the final equations?

Thanks in advance!

1. What is a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a curve or surface at a single point, without intersecting it. It represents the best linear approximation of the curve or surface at that point.

2. How is a tangent plane related to functions from Rn->Rm?

In the context of functions from Rn->Rm, a tangent plane is a linear approximation of the function at a given point. It represents the slope or rate of change of the function in multiple dimensions.

3. How do you find the equation of a tangent plane to a graph of a function from Rn->Rm?

To find the equation of a tangent plane to a graph of a function from Rn->Rm, you can use the gradient vector of the function at the given point. The equation of the tangent plane can be written as z = f(a,b) + fx(a,b)(x-a) + fy(a,b)(y-b), where (a,b) is the point of tangency and fx and fy are the partial derivatives of the function with respect to x and y, respectively.

4. What is the significance of tangent planes in multivariable calculus?

Tangent planes are an important concept in multivariable calculus because they allow us to approximate the behavior of a function in multiple dimensions. They also help us find critical points and extrema of functions, which are important in optimization problems.

5. Can a tangent plane be used to determine the behavior of a function in higher dimensions?

Yes, a tangent plane can be used to determine the behavior of a function in higher dimensions. By finding the equation of the tangent plane at a given point, we can approximate the behavior of the function in the surrounding area and make predictions about its behavior in higher dimensions.