1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tank position problem based upon sound of fire

1. Dec 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An approaching tank fires at you and you hear the sound 3 seconds after the muzzle flash. Ten seconds later the same tank fires again and you hear the sound 2 seconds after the flash. The temperature is 100 degrees Celsius. How fast is the tank going? How long until he reaches you.

2. Relevant equations

v=331.4 + .606Tc that is the speed of sound in air based upon the temperature.
    v= wavelength symbol X frequency
    These are the only ones i think that could help me but i could be mistaken.

3. The attempt at a solution

So i know the speed of sound in air is 392 meters/sec based upon the equation v=331.4 + .606Tc

v= 331.4 + .606(100)
    v= 331.4 + 60.6
    v= 392 m/s

I can't figure out where to go from here. to get the other answers thank you for any help
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

First of all you might want to check the ambient temperature of the terrain, because 100° C is a prodigious life stopping temperature. 100° F maybe?

In any event ...

At the first shot the speed of the bullet lagged the firing by 3 seconds. In 10 seconds later it lagged by 2.

So ...

In 10 seconds the tank covered the distance that sound covered in 3 - 2 = 1 seconds. The rank is traveling then at 1/10 the speed of sound.

Resolve the temperature and you should be on the sunny side of the street.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?