Tapped Transformer With a Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses determining load voltages and currents, as well as the resistance reflected into the primary of a transformer. The answers provided for part (a) are 35V and 2.91A for the resistor, and 15V and 1.5A for the capacitor. However, there is some uncertainty about the answer for part (b), which is apparently 34.5 Ohms. The conversation also discusses treating the transformer secondary as two independent windings and using Faraday's and Ampere's laws to solve the problem. Additionally, there is a question about the primary current having a phase other than zero.
Ahmed Bushra
20150629_184356.jpg

The question is the following:

a) Determine all load voltages and currents
b) Determine the resistance reflected into the primary.

Answer a) R(l): 35V, 2.91A, X(cl): 15V, 1.5 A

The answer to part (b) is apparently 34.5 Ohms.

How did they arrive at these answers?

I am not sure whether both loads should be treated as parallel or in series. Since the polarity in the bottom half should be opposite, and hence the currents should be in the same direction (?).

How should the impedance/resistance in the secondary circuit be calculated?

I had ignored the impedance of the capacitor and arrived at a reflected resistance of 35.26 Ohms.

R(primary)=(1/n2) R(secondary)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to treat this as though the transformer has two independent secondary windings. This means the secondaries' loads are "in parallel".

I see,

Well, in that case why would the voltage across one brach be different than the voltage across the other? (35 V and 10 V respectively)

Also, the resistance is:
12*10/10+12= 5.45 Ohms,

Primary Resistance = (1/n)2 ( Secondary Resistance)
n being the turns ration: 700/1200

Primary Resistance = 2.938 X 5.45 = 16.02

Why does the answer say 34.5 Ohms? Have I gone wrong somewhere?

What do you mean by "branch"?

Your calculation for reflected resistance in your first post looked right.

What is the "10" in your resistance calculation? You need some brackets ( ) in your expression, too.

How many turns are you going to assign to each of the independent windings?

You might want to approach this problem from a basic-physics viewpoint: all you need is Faraday's and Ampere's laws.
1. what is the flux (easy)?
2. so what are the output voltages? (easy too)
3. and the currents thru C and R? (easy too, bit of algebra required)
4. finally, and more challenging: what is the primary current? this will include a phase other than 0.

NascentOxygen said:
What do you mean by "branch"?

Your calculation for reflected resistance in your first post looked right.

What is the "10" in your resistance calculation? You need some brackets ( ) in your expression, too.

How many turns are you going to assign to each of the independent windings?
By "branch" I mean each section of the parallel circuit. The first section being the one containing the resistor. The second section is containing the capacitor.

The "10" in the resistance calculation is the resistance of the capacitor. When I treat the secondary load as a resistor and a capactior in parallel: I have one resistor (12 Ohms) in parallel with a capacitor (10 Ohms), hence Resistance of the secondary load:

R= (R1*R2)/(R1+R2)
R=(10*12)/(10+12)= 5.45 Ohms Why should I assign turns to the independent windings? I added them together, hence my ration of turns n=700/1200

Are you supposed to calculate each separately? If yes why? *confused*

rude man said:
You might want to approach this problem from a basic-physics viewpoint: all you need is Faraday's and Ampere's laws.
1. what is the flux (easy)?
2. so what are the output voltages? (easy too)
3. and the currents thru C and R? (easy too, bit of algebra required)
4. finally, and more challenging: what is the primary current? this will include a phase other than 0.
I can't workout the flux since they had not given any information with regards to area or magnetic field.

Last question is intriguing, what do you mean by "phase other than 0"?

If asked for the reflected resistance, you won't involve the capacitor---it contributes reactance but no resistance.

Model the transformer secondary as two independent windings, 700 turns powering the resistor, and 300 turns connected to the capacitor.

Ahmed Bushra said:
The question is the following:

a) Determine all load voltages and currents

Answer a) R(l): 35V, 2.91A, X(cl): 15V, 1.5 A

The answer to part (b) is apparently 34.5 Ohms.
Where did you get the answers? From the text?

You seem sure of the answers to part a), but for part b) you say "apparently". Are you uncertain of the answer for part b)?

Ahmed Bushra said:
View attachment 85342

What's reflected into the primary is not a resistance but an impedance.

Ahmed Bushra said:
I can't workout the flux since they had not given any information with regards to area or magnetic field.
You don't need area or B field. What does Faraday's law say?
Last question is intriguing, what do you mean by "phase other than 0"?
I mean the primary current is not in phase with the primary voltage. The primary voltage phase is defined as zero.

1. What is a tapped transformer with a capacitor?

A tapped transformer with a capacitor is a type of electrical transformer that has multiple taps on the primary winding, allowing for different voltage levels to be selected. It also includes a capacitor in the circuit, which helps to regulate the voltage and improve its efficiency.

2. How does a tapped transformer with a capacitor work?

The primary winding of the transformer is connected to the power source, and the secondary winding is connected to the load. The capacitor is connected in parallel with the secondary winding, which helps to regulate the voltage and improve the power factor. The different taps on the primary winding allow for different voltage levels to be selected.

3. What are the advantages of using a tapped transformer with a capacitor?

There are several advantages to using a tapped transformer with a capacitor. It allows for more precise voltage regulation, improves the power factor, and can reduce energy consumption. It also allows for different voltage levels to be selected, making it more versatile for different applications.

4. Where are tapped transformers with capacitors commonly used?

Tapped transformers with capacitors are commonly used in power distribution systems, particularly in industrial and commercial settings. They are also used in renewable energy systems, such as wind and solar, to regulate the voltage and improve efficiency.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using a tapped transformer with a capacitor?

One potential drawback is that the capacitor can introduce harmonic distortion into the circuit, which can affect the performance of sensitive equipment. Additionally, the use of multiple taps and capacitors can make the system more complex and expensive to maintain.