Transformer Calculations: 200 kVA, 415V to 11 kV, 0.8 PF at 2% Regulation

In summary, a 415V to 11 kV transformer has a rating of 200 kVA and a resistance of 10 m##\Omega##. If the transformer is to have 2% voltage regulation at unity power factor, the maximum winding resistance of the secondary winding must be 17.2225 m##\Omega##.
Numbskull

Homework Statement

A 415V to 11 kV transformer has a rating of 200 kVA. The winding resistance and leakage reactance when referred to the primary are 0.014 ##\Omega## and 0.057 ##\Omega## respectively.

(a) Determine the % regulation of the transformer at 0.8 power factor lagging.

(b) In designing a particular 415V to 11 kV, 200 kVA transformer, the primary winding resistance is to be 10 m##\Omega##. Find the maximum winding resistance of the secondary winding if the transformer is to have 2% regulation at unity power factor.

Homework Equations

% Regulation = ## \frac {{VA}_{rating}} {V_1^2} ## x (R’p cos ##\theta## + X’p sin ##\theta##) x 100%

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
##\frac {200 \times 10^3}{(415)^2}## x ((0.014 ##\times## 0.8) + (0.057 ##\times## ##\sqrt{1 - 0.8^2}))## x 100% = 5.272% regulation

(b)
Voltage regulation (%) ## \approx \frac {200 \times 10^3}{(415)^2} ## x R'p x 100%

Rearranging to make R'p the subject, I get 17.2225 m##\Omega## (as the primary reflected impedance), and this is only an approximation according to the formula provided in the textbook.

Trying to analyse this part in my head, I think that I need to get that primary impedance down to 10m##\Omega##. This means that I need to alter (calculate) the maximum current / voltage on the secondary side taking the 2% voltage drop, leakage reactance and 200kVA max power into consideration?

I'm keen to learn this as per the forum principles, but some gentle guidance would be welcome :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Numbskull said:
A 415V to 11 kV transformer has a rating of 200 kVA.
This would be a 3-phase transformer, even though not stated explicitly. Does your textbook give their answer?

In part (b) there is no data given concerning reactance, so you'll regard reactance as zero.

NascentOxygen said:
This would be a 3-phase transformer, even though not stated explicitly. Does your textbook give their answer?

In part (b) there is no data given concerning reactance, so you'll regard reactance as zero.
I'm interpreting the question as a single phase transformer with the constraints in the first paragraph, but with the special considerations laid out in part (b). I do not think it is anything other than a single phase transformer. What would make you think it might be a 3-phase transformer, would it be because of the voltages involved are typical of distribution grid values?

Numbskull said:
What would make you think it might be a 3-phase transformer, would it be because of the voltages involved are typical of distribution grid values?
Those are the precise 3ɸ voltages seen on our 240V system here (in Australia). What country was your textbook printed for?

It's a UK print.

Numbskull said:
It's a UK print.
Then ditto.

Just curious but where are 415V to 11KV step up transformers used most? Small wind farms?

CWatters said:
Just curious but where are 415V to 11KV step up transformers used most? Small wind farms?
Maybe, I don't know.
But turned around they are used as 11kV:415V step-down on powerpoles.

Numbscull-

I'm not sure I agree with your first equation for voltage regulation. Was it given to you?

If you examine the units, it doesn't make sense to me.

Also, I usually refer to the higher voltage winding as the primary. As a distribution transformer supplying load, I'd expect 11 kV would be the primary winding.

The question was exactly as phrased, and the formula taken from the text where there's a very similar example problem solved in the course material with slightly different values:

text_sample.JPG

For (b), what's wrong with a step-up transformer? From the assignment:

text_example_2.jpg

Sorry to question your equation, but I am used to working in per unit.

In per unit, you select the phase to phase voltage in kV and the MVA base.

So, in your case,
kV = 0.415
MVA = 0.2
Zbase = kV^2/MVA = 0.861125

All impedances in ohms have to be divided by the base Z or Zbase to express them in per unit.
r(pu) = 0.014/.861125 = 0.016258
x(pu) = 0.057/.861125 = 0.066192

So my voltage drop equation becomes:

V Drop = I * (r cos th + x sin th)
I = 1 per unit for 100% load
cos th = 0.8
sin th = 0.6

V Drop = 1*(0.016258 * 0.8 + 0.066192 * 0.6)
= 0.052722
To express it in %, just multiply it by 100, so you get 5.2722% - which is exactly what you got by the equation you used.

I just wanted to show that your equation method is OK even though it is foreign to me.

What is a transformer and how does it work?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It works by using two coils of wire, the primary and secondary, which are wrapped around a common iron core. When an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates an alternating magnetic field that induces a voltage in the secondary coil, thereby transferring energy between the two circuits.

What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage from the primary to the secondary coil, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage. Other types of transformers include autotransformers, isolation transformers, and multi-winding transformers.

How do you calculate the turns ratio of a transformer?

The turns ratio of a transformer is calculated by dividing the number of turns in the secondary coil by the number of turns in the primary coil. This ratio determines the voltage transformation ratio of the transformer. For example, a transformer with 100 turns in the primary coil and 200 turns in the secondary coil will have a turns ratio of 2:1.

What is the formula for calculating the output voltage of a transformer?

The formula for calculating the output voltage of a transformer is V2 = (N2/N1) * V1, where V2 is the output voltage, N2 is the number of turns in the secondary coil, N1 is the number of turns in the primary coil, and V1 is the input voltage. This formula is based on the principle of voltage transformation ratio, where the output voltage is directly proportional to the number of turns in the secondary coil.

What are some important parameters to consider when designing a transformer?

Some important parameters to consider when designing a transformer include the required voltage transformation ratio, the power rating, the frequency of the input voltage, the core material, and the wire size. Other factors that may need to be taken into account include the operating temperature, efficiency, and cost. It is important to carefully consider all of these parameters to design a transformer that meets the specific requirements of the intended application.