1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x)

1. May 26, 2013 #1
    I have some problems finding Taylor's expansion at infinity of

[itex]
    f(x) = \frac{x}{1+e^{\frac{1}{x}}}
    [/itex]

I tried to find Taylor's expansion at 0 of :

[itex]
    g(u) = \frac{1}{u} \cdot \frac{1}{1+e^u} \hspace{10 mm} \mbox{ where } \hspace{10 mm} u = 1/x
    [/itex]

in order to then use the known expansion of [itex] \frac{1}{1+t} [/itex] but the problem is that I can not do it because :
    [itex] \lim_{ u \to 0 } e^{u} = 1 \hspace{10 mm} \mbox{ and not } 0 [/itex]

Any ideas on how to do it? :smile: Thanks :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should express that denominator uas
    [tex] \frac{1}{2+(e^{u}-1)} [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{1+ (e^{u}-1)/2} [/tex]
    Now if u is close to 0 (eu-1)/2 is close to zero and we can expand inthis
    [tex] \frac{1}{2} \left(1-\frac{e^u-1}{2} +\left(\frac{e^u-1}{2} \right)^2+.... \right) [/tex]

4. May 26, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much Office_Shredder :smile:

I had thought of adding/subtracting 1 but not of factorising the 2 :redface:

Thank you again :wink:

5. May 26, 2013 #4
    ... The problem is now that I get a different expansion depending on how far I go in the approximation ... those

[itex]\left( \frac{\cdots \, \, - 1}{2}\right)^n[/itex]

change the first term of the expansion ...

EDIT: Sorry :smile: I should replace [itex]\left( \frac{e^u - 1}{2}\right)[/itex] with his expansion, right? :smile:

EDIT: Done! Thanks :smile:

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. May 26, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do it in terms of Bernoulli numbers. Bernoulli numbers appear in the series for ##1/(e^x - 1)##. You need to get the series for ##1/(e^x+1)##, which you can do by expressing ##1/(e^x+1)## in terms of ##1/(e^x - 1)## and ##1/(e^{2x}-1)##; in other words, you need to express ##1/(y+1)## in terms of ##1/(y-1)## and ##1/(y^2 - 1)##.

For more on Bernoulli numbers, see, eg., http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BernoulliNumber.html

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  7. May 26, 2013 #6
    I don't know yet what Bernoulli numbers are (we don't do them in my school) :smile: Thanks anyways for your help :smile:
    From what I have understood from Wikipedia (:rolleyes:) I should rewrite my function: [itex]\frac{1}{1+e^u}[/itex] as a "generating function" so that it will then generate the required expansion ?
    I get [itex]\frac{1}{1+e^u} = \frac{e^u - 1}{e^{2u}-1}[/itex] but it is a little bit different from the standard forms of the generating functions ....

Any insight on Bernoulli numbers is welcome! :biggrin:

8. May 26, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google is your friend---look them up!

I would not write ##1/(y+1) = (y-1)/(y^2-1)##; that just makes the problem much worse!

Suppose I asked you to do the reverse, which would be to write ##1/(y^2-1)## in as simple a way as possible in terms of ##1/(y-1)## and ##1/(y+1)##. What would you do? Have you ever encountered partial fractions?

I don't think it matters whether or not you have seen Bernoulli numbers in your school; all that matters is that you are allowed (I suppose) to go to the library and look things up in a book, or (nowadays) go on-line to find information. Just *cite* your sources, whether they are books or web pages.

9. May 26, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

This function doesn't have a Taylor expansion at infinity because it diverges in that limit. Did you perhaps mean a Laurent expansion instead?

10. May 26, 2013 #9
    ok :wink:

I have got:

[itex]\frac{1}{y^2-1} = \frac{1}{2(y-1)}-\frac{1}{2(y+1)}[/itex]

therefore:

[itex]\frac{1}{y+1} = \frac{1}{y-1}-\frac{2}{y^2-1}[/itex]

My function is then:

[itex]\frac{1}{e^u+1} = \frac{1}{e^u-1}-\frac{2}{e^{2u}-1}[/itex]

11. May 26, 2013 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, so take it from there!

12. May 26, 2013 #11
    @ Vela

I have found an oblique asymptote:

[itex]y = \frac{x}{2} - \frac{1}{4}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted