Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x)

In summary: I was looking for :sad:I am sure I am missing something ... Thank you very much for your patience :smile:In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding Taylor's expansion at infinity for the function f(x) = x/(1+e^(1/x)). The conversation suggests using Bernoulli numbers to express the function in terms of known expansions. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using a Laurent expansion instead of a Taylor expansion. The conversation concludes with the mention of an oblique asymptote as a potential solution.
Alv95
I have some problems finding Taylor's expansion at infinity of

[itex]
f(x) = \frac{x}{1+e^{\frac{1}{x}}}
[/itex]

I tried to find Taylor's expansion at 0 of :

[itex]
g(u) = \frac{1}{u} \cdot \frac{1}{1+e^u} \hspace{10 mm} \mbox{ where } \hspace{10 mm} u = 1/x
[/itex]

in order to then use the known expansion of [itex] \frac{1}{1+t} [/itex] but the problem is that I can not do it because :
[itex] \lim_{ u \to 0 } e^{u} = 1 \hspace{10 mm} \mbox{ and not } 0 [/itex]Any ideas on how to do it? :smile: Thanks :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You should express that denominator uas
[tex] \frac{1}{2+(e^{u}-1)} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{1+ (e^{u}-1)/2} [/tex]
Now if u is close to 0 (eu-1)/2 is close to zero and we can expand inthis
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \left(1-\frac{e^u-1}{2} +\left(\frac{e^u-1}{2} \right)^2+... \right) [/tex]

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much Office_Shredder :smile:

I had thought of adding/subtracting 1 but not of factorising the 2 :redface:

Thank you again :wink:

... The problem is now that I get a different expansion depending on how far I go in the approximation ... those

[itex]\left( \frac{\cdots \, \, - 1}{2}\right)^n[/itex]

change the first term of the expansion ...

EDIT: Sorry :smile: I should replace [itex]\left( \frac{e^u - 1}{2}\right)[/itex] with his expansion, right? :smile:

EDIT: Done! Thanks :smile:

Last edited:
Alv95 said:

[itex]
[/itex]

I tried to find Taylor's expansion at 0 of :

[itex]
g(u) = \frac{1}{u} \cdot \frac{1}{1+e^u} \hspace{10 mm} \mbox{ where } \hspace{10 mm} u = 1/x
[/itex]

in order to then use the known expansion of [itex] \frac{1}{1+t} [/itex] but the problem is that I can not do it because :
[itex] \lim_{ u \to 0 } e^{u} = 1 \hspace{10 mm} \mbox{ and not } 0 [/itex]

Any ideas on how to do it? :smile: Thanks :smile:

Do it in terms of Bernoulli numbers. Bernoulli numbers appear in the series for ##1/(e^x - 1)##. You need to get the series for ##1/(e^x+1)##, which you can do by expressing ##1/(e^x+1)## in terms of ##1/(e^x - 1)## and ##1/(e^{2x}-1)##; in other words, you need to express ##1/(y+1)## in terms of ##1/(y-1)## and ##1/(y^2 - 1)##.

For more on Bernoulli numbers, see, eg., http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BernoulliNumber.html

Last edited:
I don't know yet what Bernoulli numbers are (we don't do them in my school) :smile: Thanks anyways for your help :smile:
From what I have understood from Wikipedia (:rolleyes:) I should rewrite my function: [itex]\frac{1}{1+e^u}[/itex] as a "generating function" so that it will then generate the required expansion ?
I get [itex]\frac{1}{1+e^u} = \frac{e^u - 1}{e^{2u}-1}[/itex] but it is a little bit different from the standard forms of the generating functions ...

Any insight on Bernoulli numbers is welcome! :biggrin:

Alv95 said:
I don't know yet what Bernoulli numbers are (we don't do them in my school) :smile: Thanks anyways for your help :smile:
From what I have understood from Wikipedia (:rolleyes:) I should rewrite my function: [itex]\frac{1}{1+e^u}[/itex] as a "generating function" so that it will then generate the required expansion ?
I get [itex]\frac{1}{1+e^u} = \frac{e^u - 1}{e^{2u}-1}[/itex] but it is a little bit different from the standard forms of the generating functions ...

Any insight on Bernoulli numbers is welcome! :biggrin:

Google is your friend---look them up!

I would not write ##1/(y+1) = (y-1)/(y^2-1)##; that just makes the problem much worse!

Suppose I asked you to do the reverse, which would be to write ##1/(y^2-1)## in as simple a way as possible in terms of ##1/(y-1)## and ##1/(y+1)##. What would you do? Have you ever encountered partial fractions?

I don't think it matters whether or not you have seen Bernoulli numbers in your school; all that matters is that you are allowed (I suppose) to go to the library and look things up in a book, or (nowadays) go on-line to find information. Just *cite* your sources, whether they are books or web pages.

Alv95 said:

[itex]
[/itex]
This function doesn't have a Taylor expansion at infinity because it diverges in that limit. Did you perhaps mean a Laurent expansion instead?

ok :wink:

I have got:

[itex]\frac{1}{y^2-1} = \frac{1}{2(y-1)}-\frac{1}{2(y+1)}[/itex]

therefore:

[itex]\frac{1}{y+1} = \frac{1}{y-1}-\frac{2}{y^2-1}[/itex]

My function is then:

[itex]\frac{1}{e^u+1} = \frac{1}{e^u-1}-\frac{2}{e^{2u}-1}[/itex]

Alv95 said:
ok :wink:

I have got:

[itex]\frac{1}{y^2-1} = \frac{1}{2(y-1)}-\frac{1}{2(y+1)}[/itex]

therefore:

[itex]\frac{1}{y+1} = \frac{1}{y-1}-\frac{2}{y^2-1}[/itex]

My function is then:

[itex]\frac{1}{e^u+1} = \frac{1}{e^u-1}-\frac{2}{e^{2u}-1}[/itex]

OK, so take it from there!

@ Vela

I have found an oblique asymptote:

[itex]y = \frac{x}{2} - \frac{1}{4}[/itex]

1. What is the Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x)?

The Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x) is a mathematical series that represents the function x/1+e^(1/x) as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate the value of the function for large values of x.

2. Why is the Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x) useful?

The Taylor expansion at infinity allows us to approximate the value of the function x/1+e^(1/x) for large values of x, which may be difficult to calculate directly. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function as x approaches infinity.

3. How is the Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x) calculated?

The Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x) is calculated by finding the coefficients of the series using the formula for the nth derivative of the function at x=0. These coefficients are then used to construct the series.

4. What is the convergence of the Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x)?

The Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x) converges for all real values of x, since the function is infinitely differentiable. However, it may converge more slowly for larger values of x.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x)?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Taylor expansion at infinity of x/1+e^(1/x). It can only be used to approximate the value of the function for large values of x. Additionally, the series may not converge quickly for very large values of x, leading to less accurate approximations.