1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor polynomial of degree 1 - solve for theta

1. Feb 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was given the following problem, but I am having a hard time interpreting what some parts mean.

We're given the equation

sinθ+b(1+cos^2(θ)+cos(θ))=0

Assume that this equation defines θ as a function, θ(b), of b near (0,0). Computer the Taylor polynomial of degree one for θ(b) near b=0

2. Relevant equations

sinθ+b(1+cos^2(θ)+cos(θ))=0

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure exactly what they mean by θ(b).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Replace b by x for a moment so you are thinking of ##\theta## as a function of x, say f(x). Can you write the Taylor series for a function f(x) near x = 0? Do that first. Then replace ##f## by ##\theta## and ##x## by ##b##. There will be a couple of things you will need to calculate from your equation.

4. Feb 24, 2012 #3
    So I took the derivative with respect to b and got

dθ/db= (1+cos^2(θ)+cos(θ))/(2bcos(θ)sin(θ)+sin(θ)-cos(θ))

knowing the general form of the taylor series, I used the value of dθ/db at b=0 with θ=0 to get a value of -3 and plugged it into the tayor series general form

θ(b)=θ(0)+(-3)(b) to get θ(b)=-3b, the same value I got when I took the taylor polynomial of this function and solved for θ in another step.

Is this right?

5. Feb 24, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks right to me, but there is a small error in your θ'(b) .

θ'(b) = (1+cos^2(θ)+cos(θ))/(2bcos(θ)sin(θ)+bsin(θ)-cos(θ))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook