1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tayor series with truncation error

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider dy/dx=x+y, a function of both x and y subject to initial condition, y(x0)=y0.
    Use Taylor series to determine y(x0+[itex]\Delta[/itex]x) to 4th order accuracy.

Initial condition: x0=0, y(x0)=1
    step size: [itex]\Delta[/itex]x=0.1

Show 5 significant digits in the answer.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\epsilon[/itex]=O([itex]\Delta[/itex]x5)
    Do the calculations for only one step.

3. The attempt at a solution
    dy/dx=f(x,y)

Taylor series:
    y(x0+[itex]\Delta[/itex]x)=y(x0)+[itex]\Delta[/itex]xf(x0,y(x0))+[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

My solution:

f(x0,y(0))=f(0,1)=0+1=1

y(0+0.1)=1+0.1(1)+.00001=1.10001

Does this seem correct. It feels like I missed something. On the other hand it makes sense. Did I miss something or mess up a step?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To 4th order in h (= Delta x), y(x0 + h) = y(x0) + sum{D^k y(x0) * h^k/k!: k=1..4}, where D^k y(x0) = (d/dx)^k y(x)|_{x = x0} = kth derivative of y(x) at x0. Can you figure out (d/dx)^2 y, (d/dx)^3 y, etc?

RGV

4. Aug 27, 2011 #3
    I thought that doing calculations for one step meant that I didn't need to take any derivatives. For example, a calculation using 3 steps would mean the Taylor series would have the original function, 1st and 2nd derivatives. Wouldn't I just get zeros beyond the first derivative of x+y anyways?

5. Aug 28, 2011 #4
    Can anyone provide some insight on this. This is review and I don't ever remember doing a Taylor series on a differential equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook