Approximating Solutions to Differential Equations with Euler's Method

In summary, the conversation discusses finding approximate values of a solution to a given initial value problem using the Euler method. The solution is given as y= -e^-x +x +2, and the first iteration for y(.1) is found to be 1.2, which is slightly different from the textbook's answer of 1.1. The conversation concludes by mentioning the need to use y(.1) and x(.1) in the formula to continue the iterations for y(.2) and beyond.
UltimateSomni

Homework Statement

y'+y=3+x y(0)=1
(a) Find approximate values of the solution of the given initial value problem at t = 0.1, 0.2,
0.3, and 0.4 using the Euler method with h = 0.1.

Homework Equations

yn+1 = yn + f(x0, y0)(x-x0). Adjusting 0 for the next number as we go up

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not looking to have the whole thing solved I'm just looking to solve the very first one and if I figure it out I can go from there.
So I solved for y which gets me
y= -e^-x +x +2. I checked this solution on wolfram alpha.
y1=y0 + (-e^-x +x +2)*h= 1 +(-1+0+2)*.1=1.1. According the textbook its 1.2. It feels so close.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you solved the Diff Eq. and the question asked you to apply the method.
Start with y' = 3+ x - y. I am confused by your mixing of t and x. I will assume that they are supposed to be the same variable.
y(0) = 1, x0 = 0.
Then y(.1) ~ y(0) + (3+x0 -y0)(.1) = 1 + (3-1)*.1 = 1.2.
Next, use y(.1) and x(.1) in the formula to iterate to the approximation for y(.2). And on and on.

RUber said:
I think you solved the Diff Eq. and the question asked you to apply the method.
Start with y' = 3+ x - y. I am confused by your mixing of t and x. I will assume that they are supposed to be the same variable.
y(0) = 1, x0 = 0.
Then y(.1) ~ y(0) + (3+x0 -y0)(.1) = 1 + (3-1)*.1 = 1.2.
Next, use y(.1) and x(.1) in the formula to iterate to the approximation for y(.2). And on and on.

Yup, I knew whatever error I made it had to be as obvious as possible. Thank you so much.

1. What is Euler's Approximation?

Euler's approximation is a mathematical method used to estimate the value of a function at a particular point based on the values of the function at nearby points. It is named after the mathematician Leonhard Euler.

2. How does Euler's Approximation work?

Euler's approximation is based on the principle of linear approximation, which assumes that a function can be approximated by a straight line tangent to the function at a given point. By using the slope of this tangent line, the value of the function at a nearby point can be estimated.

3. When is Euler's Approximation used?

Euler's approximation is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics for solving problems that involve estimating the value of a function at a specific point. It is also useful in physics, engineering, and other fields that require the use of mathematical models.

4. What are the limitations of Euler's Approximation?

Euler's approximation is based on the assumption that a function can be approximated by a straight line, which may not always be accurate. It also becomes less accurate as the distance between the given point and the estimated point increases. Additionally, it may not work well for functions with sharp curves or discontinuities.

5. Can Euler's Approximation be improved upon?

Yes, there are other methods that have been developed to improve upon Euler's approximation, such as the midpoint method and the Runge-Kutta method. These methods use more points and more complex calculations to provide more accurate estimations of a function's value at a given point.