Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teach yourself kit on how to use capacitors and resistors

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    So i decided to get this teach yourself kit on how to use capacitors and resistors and a stamp chip or something like that. Its working great and i'm making LED's flash and stuff...but it uses a serial interface to load the program I make into the stamp.

My question is, if i have a real thing made without using a breadboard then how to I get the program loaded onto the chip? also does each micro-controller have its own software to make programs?

P.S. anyone know where I can buy a bigger breadboard? this one was designed specifically for this kit...i kinda want a big one to start a cooler project :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2009 #2

negitron

Science Advisor

Re: Microcontrollers

Depends on the microcontroller, but in general most of the mid- to high-end ones support ICSP (in-circuit serial programming). To use this, you include some form of wire-to-board connector, such as a pin header or RJ-type modular jack, with traces going to the pins required for ICSP programming (typically 5 or 6 pins). You'll also need a programmer capable of ICSP programming.

4. Aug 31, 2009 #3

Whats the difference between a PIC programmer and a ICSP programmer

5. Aug 31, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

PIC is a specific brand of microcontroller. A programmer for PIC uCs may or may not support ICSP programming.

6. Sep 1, 2009 #5

vk6kro

Science Advisor

We had a very similar thread a couple of weeks ago.

You might like to click on this:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=331073
    and read through it.

Picaxe chips are the obvious choice and the language is almost identical to Stamp but at a fraction of the cost.
    They do on-board proramming with a simple cable.

There are other suggestions in that thread, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook