Building Circuits & Capacitor Direction

In summary, the person is trying to use a 12V transformer with low current devices and is concerned about overloading the circuit when measuring amperage or voltage. They are also unsure about the polarity of capacitors and how to properly test amperage and voltage while building a circuit. They clarify that placing an ammeter across the 12V supply will measure the current drawn by the circuit and that the negative band on a capacitor should be placed on the negative side.
mearvk
I have a 12 volt transformer (120v in) that I'm trying to use with low current devices (LM386 amp). My question is when I use my meter to read amperage or voltage I'm fully loading the circuit so I get like 2 amps across my resistors and capacitors. I don't need anywhere near this amount, instead I want maybe .350 amps. Currently I'm using a full-bridge rectifier.

So a couple questions:

If I put this DC system into a circuit that 'draws' .350 amps (the LM386) will it still try to 'push' the 2 amps? Presumably not, which leads me to the next question.

If I'm building a circuit piece by piece (adding resistors etc as I go) how can I test what the amperage/voltage will be if my multimeter is always checking under the assumption of 'full load', which it seems to be doing? This would pull ~2 amps which would fry the circuit components in this case.

Finally, sort of unrelated, capacitors have a negative band on the side. I'm unsure if this means the negative side faces towards ground or if the negative side indicates voltage going towards ground (from Vs+ to Vs-). I have seen it work, strangely, both ways. My LM386's capacitor is facing one way but on my breadboard I only get current if I face it the other way.

Option A: Vs+ [- +] Vs-
Option B: Vs+ [+ -] Vs-

The [- +] is the capacitor. Let's put this baby to bed. Which is it?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
When you place ammeter across 12V supply you are loading it. When you place voltmeter across 12V supply you are *not* loading it.
If you want to measure volts & amps through your circuit:
1 - measure volts right across 12V (it will not load it).
2 - Disconnect one of the 12V supply leads and place ammeter across this break. This will measure the current that your circuit is drawing from 12V supply. In other words place ammeter in series with your circuit.

Capacitor polarity: negative band goes on negative. This may or may not be ground. If your supply is +12V then negative band will go on ground. If you want to double check, use voltmeter to determine which side is negative, and orient capacitor with band on that side.

Makes sense. Thanks.

1. What is a circuit and how does it work?

A circuit is a closed loop through which electricity can flow. It typically consists of a power source, a load, and conductive materials to connect them. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, it creates a flow of electrons, which can then power the load.

2. Why is it important to pay attention to the direction of capacitors in a circuit?

Capacitors store electrical energy and are used to regulate voltage in a circuit. When placed in the wrong direction, they can malfunction and cause the circuit to fail. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure that capacitors are oriented correctly for the circuit to function properly.

3. How do you determine the direction of a capacitor?

Most capacitors have markings on their body that indicate the direction of the positive and negative terminals. The positive terminal is usually marked with a plus sign (+) or a longer lead, while the negative terminal is marked with a minus sign (-) or a shorter lead. It is essential to align these markings with the direction of current flow in the circuit.

4. Can capacitors be placed in any direction in a circuit?

No, capacitors must be placed in the correct direction for the circuit to work correctly. If placed in the wrong direction, they can cause a short circuit or damage to other components in the circuit.

5. What happens if a capacitor is placed in the wrong direction in a circuit?

If a capacitor is placed in the wrong direction, it can cause the circuit to fail or malfunction. In some cases, it may also cause damage to the capacitor and other components in the circuit. It is crucial to double-check the direction of capacitors before connecting them in a circuit.