Teachers who shouldn't be teachers

This inciden't wasn't a joke.
The teacher misconducted and should be punished accordingly. But, media focus and reaction this is getting are essentially a joke.

The teacher misconducted and should be punished accordingly. But, media focus and reaction this is getting are essentially a joke.
Why is it a 'joke' that the media is upset a teacher put a bag of **** in a kids backpack and sent the kid home?

Cy, would a 5-year-old child from your culture pull down his pants and defecate in a public room? I think not. I was brought up poor, but I swear you could walk into the homes of the French-Canadian immigrant families and eat off the floors.

Vengeance is mine, saith the lord? Hah!!!! There is no force on Earth like a French-Canadian great-aunt who demands an explanation for your behavior and finds you lacking. Very giving and loving people who expect the same back from young and old.
If the child had problems, yes. Your premise about 'culture' is wrong because a 5 year old just isnt old enough to follow cultural norms. Any 5 year old with problems could do this - I don't care where they are from or what era they grew up.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Cy, would a 5-year-old child from your culture pull down his pants and defecate in a public room? I think not. I was brought up poor, but I swear you could walk into the homes of the French-Canadian immigrant families and eat off the floors.
We don't even know, exactly, what the child did. These are assumptions that he was being spiteful or disrespectful or that it had happened more than once. 5 year-olds do strange things.

When I was in school, kids were supposed to be potty trained before starting kindergarten, that was one of the requirements to let them start school. But, that didn't mean there weren't kids in my class who still needed help with having their bottoms wiped (I remember because my mom had made a big fuss about telling me before I started school that I had to know how to do it all myself without help once I was in school, and didn't understand why the other kids didn't have to follow that rule too). But, I'm sure that once in a while, one slips through the cracks, or still has accidents.

Maybe the kid does have something wrong with him...a developmental delay. Humiliating him by sending him home with his feces in his backpack is not a good way to deal with such a problem. And, if the parents are at fault for not addressing a problem behavior, again, humiliating the child for his parents' deficiencies is not an appropriate action.

As I already said before, we don't know the circumstances. When a teacher is capable of something so nasty as sending a kid home with feces, for all we know, the kid asked to use the potty and was denied and when matters got urgent, did the only thing a 5 year old might think to do.

Would a 5yrs old have sense of shame? I don't know when we usually get feelings of guilt or shame (my guess is around 9).
Uh...no. We're talking about a 5 year old boy here not a fetus. I have several relatives in this age range and they definitely can feel the emotion of shame. I was also quite a trouble maker in my day, and was nearly expelled from grade school for misbehaving, so I'm quite familiar with the typical disciplinary methods...and their inefficiency. Whenever I was sent to the office, it just made me want to lash out more. The only things that really worked on me was making me feel shame for my actions. I still remember those things I felt deeply shamed for to this day and I attribute them partially to my turn-around in becoming a good student.

Why is it a 'joke' that the media is upset a teacher put a bag of **** in a kids backpack and sent the kid home?
1) That's one sided and uncomplete story
2) It did not harm the child in any way
3) There can more worse stories to focus on like a teacher killing a 11 yrs old for not doing homework or children dying of poor hygiene in Africa

1) That's one sided and uncomplete story
2) It did not harm the child in any way
3) There can more worse stories to focus on like a teacher killing a 11 yrs old for not doing homework or children dying of poor hygiene in Africa
I find your rationalization distasteful.

#3? ...

I read them sometime ago.
Ok, and.....?

The rationalization was comment number two and three you made on your list.

If a kid is "dropping drawers" in the middle of class, what are the teachers options? I wonder how many times it took before the teacher got tired of cleaning up the damage. Then decided that potty training and associated disciplining wasn't in his/her job description. I imagine there is more to the story. A little humiliation can go a long way to correct such behaviours.
I completely agree, some parents are a pain. I am not a teacher but I know storied about parents who constantly blame the school for their kids outrageous behavior.