Technical Writing (in engineering fields) and English

In summary, the conversation discusses the demand for technical writers in European countries such as Netherlands and Germany. The question is whether these companies primarily hire technical writers in their native languages and then use English translators, or if they also employ technical writers in English. The use of English as the business language of the world is also mentioned as a factor in this industry. The conversation also touches on the assumption that engineers in the Netherlands are fluent in English and the possibility of non-native English speakers being hired for technical writing positions.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Hi folks!

I've considered a career as a technical writer for the mechatronics/electronics fields for a while now (yes I have engineering education), but I'm wondering if I'd want to work in a European country like Netherlands, Germany...do they need technical writers in English?
Or, do they just employ technical writers in their native languages and get an "English technical translator" later?

I'm really curious about what are the practices in this field. If I'm German and have a firm in Germany, why would I want an English tech writer to wrap up all my material in a nice batch, instead of a German one? What's the logic behind it? I can just pay off a translator later.

Also -- In Israel for example, only 15% of the jobs offered for technical writers in English require that the candidates be fluent in Hebrew as well. Is it about the same in other countries?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Femme_physics.

While I can't answer your question in any detail, I would remind you that the business language of the world is English and this has a lot of impact on who uses the language and for what purpose.

Hi chrio.
While I can't answer your question in any detail, I would remind you that the business language of the world is English and this has a lot of impact on who uses the language and for what purpose.
True...true. I'd imagine that English has some sort of upmarket value in this industry...
Well then, provided those European companies don't require me to be native in their country language/s (at least not all of them), I'm rather inspired about giving it a shot.

Still if anyone has anything more to add about this topic, would love to read it.

In the Netherlands engineers are mostly assumed to be fluent in English.
Furthermore, most companies will accept anyone that is fluent in English, regardless of whether they are fluent in Dutch.

I can understand your curiosity about the practices in technical writing in different countries and the need for technical writers who are proficient in English. In my experience, technical writing is a crucial aspect of the engineering field, as it allows for clear communication and documentation of complex ideas and processes. In today's globalized world, English has become the lingua franca in many industries, including engineering. Therefore, there is a high demand for technical writers who are proficient in English, even in countries where English is not the native language.

In countries like the Netherlands and Germany, which have a strong presence in the engineering industry, there is a need for technical writers who can write in English to cater to a global audience. While it is true that companies can hire a translator to convert their technical documents into English, it is often more efficient and cost-effective to have a technical writer who is proficient in both the engineering concepts and the English language. This ensures accuracy and consistency in the technical documentation.

Furthermore, having a technical writer who is proficient in English can also open up opportunities for the company to expand their market internationally. With English being the language of business and science, having well-written technical documents in English can give a company a competitive edge in the global market.

Regarding the requirement for fluency in the native language, it may vary from country to country. In some countries, like Israel, fluency in the native language may not be a requirement, while in others it may be essential. However, having a basic understanding of the native language can be beneficial for a technical writer, as it allows for better understanding of the engineering concepts and communication with the team.

In conclusion, technical writing in English is a valuable skill in the engineering field, and there is a high demand for it in various countries. Having a technical writer who is proficient in both engineering concepts and the English language can bring numerous advantages to a company, including clear communication, global market expansion, and cost-effectiveness.

1. What is the purpose of technical writing in engineering fields?

Technical writing in engineering fields serves as a way to effectively communicate complex technical information to a specific audience. It is used to document processes, procedures, and data in a clear and concise manner that can be easily understood by engineers, technicians, and other professionals in the field.

2. What are some common challenges in technical writing for engineers?

Some common challenges in technical writing for engineers include organizing and presenting complex information in a logical and understandable way, using technical terminology appropriately, and balancing technical detail with clarity and conciseness. Additionally, engineers may face challenges in adapting their writing style for different audiences and purposes.

3. How can engineers improve their technical writing skills?

One way engineers can improve their technical writing skills is by practicing regularly and seeking feedback from colleagues or professional technical writers. They can also take courses or workshops specifically focused on technical writing, and study examples of well-written technical documents in their field.

4. How important is proper grammar and punctuation in technical writing?

Proper grammar and punctuation are crucial in technical writing as they ensure clarity and accuracy in conveying complex technical information. They also help to maintain the credibility and professionalism of the document. Therefore, it is important for engineers to have a strong understanding of grammar rules and to proofread their writing carefully.

5. What role does English proficiency play in technical writing for engineers?

English proficiency is essential in technical writing for engineers as it allows for effective communication with a wider audience and ensures that technical information is accurately conveyed. Engineers who are not native English speakers may need to work on their language skills in order to produce high-quality technical documents that meet the standards of their industry.