Technology in Exams: Accessibility & Accuracy Considerations

In summary, the VCE maths structure attempts to build skills, knowledge, and understanding before moving on to more difficult mathematics.
find_the_fun
Aside from accessibility/affordability reasons why aren't students allowed to use technology in exams? For example why is it so uncommon to be able to use a computer algebra system? The only reason I ever heard was from my elementary school teacher is that you don't want to put all your trust in them because they can be wrong and you would never know.

Science news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:
Aside from accessibility/affordability reasons why aren't students allowed to use technology in exams? For example why is it so uncommon to be able to use a computer algebra system? The only reason I ever heard was from my elementary school teacher is that you don't want to put all your trust in them because they can be wrong and you would never know.

And the elementary school teacher was quite right. Computers make fast, very accurate mistakes. They are also incredibly stupid: they do what you tell them to do (when they work!), not what you want.

Computers are powerful tools, if used correctly. But how do you know you're using them correctly? I have students make calculator errors all the time. Without knowing their multiplication tables, or being able to use order-of-magnitude checks, etc., they can have no idea whether their answer is correct or not.

Incidentally, this is one reason http://mathhelpboards.com/mathematics-software-calculator-discussion-29/hp-50g-1953.html so much. It let's me play with intermediate values - and see them, and possible correct them - before moving on.

I am a big fan of mental arithmetic, because it provides a check on your work. You must have an independent method of verifying that your answer is correct. A calculator is one method to an answer. Your brain is another. Use both.

The problem, as I see it, comes when you get to an advanced education, whether it be physics, psychology, business school, or something else that requires math skills.
Then you are required to take the skills, that a computer algebra system can so easily do for you, up to a higher level where the computer system cannot help you anymore.
Without knowledge and understanding of the "basic" skills, you're at a bad disadvantage.

In Melbourne, all VCE (which is Year 11 and 12) mathematics is split into three main outcomes: Outcome 1 is Knowledge and Skills (so all the routine tasks), Outcome 2 is Analysis (so all the non-routine tasks, where you need to get TO the maths before actually doing any), and Outcome 3 is Technology Use. Most schools also follow this format to an extent in earlier years as well. All students are required a CAS calculator. There are always two final exams.

Exam 1 is all short answer, is technology free, and is without notes. It is entirely to assess Knowledge and Skills. All working out is expected to be shown, but a sophisticated result is usually not required (i.e. answers don't need to be fully simplified as there's no calculator, etc). This is obviously to assess that a student CAN do the routine tasks that could be skipped over learning if they relied on a calculator too much.

Exam 2 is part multiple choice, and part Analysis. It is technology active (so calculators are allowed), and a bound reference of notes (either of the student's making or a textbook) is allowed to be taken in. In the multiple choice section, all questions are worth one mark, and no working out is required, so this is the part where we really can assess a student's ability to use the calculator to get answers quickly. This is an essential skill in higher mathematics and in their fields, so it's important that we teach it. The analysis section requires students to read and sort through worded problems (some might be quite obscure contexts) to get to the maths and then solve the problems. The actual mathematics to be used is usually not as in depth as what would be in Exam 1, and students are also expected to use their CAS to help them as much as possible there too, because here it's the analysis of the question, not so much the actual doing of the mathematics, which is the most important thing.

Again, most schools follow similar formats in younger years (i.e. having a technology free and a technology active section in the exams, splitting up into Multiple Choice, Short Answer, and Analysis) to prepare them for VCE.

The structure for VCE maths I feel is the best it could possibly be, as it attempts to build skills, knowledge and understanding, and to prepare students well for how they will be expected to work in their respective fields.

So to answer your question, at least in my area of the world, students ARE allowed to use their calculators, but they are expected to use them as their partners and extensions of themselves, so that they can build their analysis skills and not focus too much on skill and drill.

As a scientist, it is important to consider the potential benefits and drawbacks of using technology in exams. While technology can certainly increase accessibility and accuracy for students, there are also valid reasons why it may not be allowed in exams.

One reason for limiting the use of technology in exams is to ensure a level playing field for all students. Not all students may have access to the same technology or have the same level of proficiency in using it. This could give some students an unfair advantage over others. Additionally, allowing the use of technology in exams may not accurately assess a student's understanding and mastery of the subject matter, as it may rely more on their ability to use the technology rather than their knowledge of the material.

Another consideration is the potential for cheating. With the widespread availability of online resources and the ability to easily communicate with others during exams, it can be difficult to monitor and prevent cheating when technology is involved.

Furthermore, as your elementary school teacher mentioned, there is the issue of relying too heavily on technology and not developing critical thinking skills. Technology can be wrong or malfunction, and students who solely rely on it may not be able to identify and correct errors on their own. This could hinder their ability to solve problems and think critically in real-world situations.

In regards to using a computer algebra system, while it may be a useful tool for solving complex equations, it may not accurately reflect a student's understanding of mathematical concepts. It is important for students to develop their own problem-solving skills and not become overly dependent on technology.

In conclusion, while technology can certainly improve accessibility and accuracy in exams, there are valid reasons for not allowing its use. It is important for students to develop their own skills and understanding of the subject matter, rather than relying solely on technology. Therefore, a balance between the use of technology and traditional methods should be considered in exams.

Related to Technology in Exams: Accessibility & Accuracy Considerations

1. What is the role of technology in exams?

The role of technology in exams is to provide accessibility and accuracy considerations for all students, regardless of their individual needs or abilities. It can also streamline the exam process and make grading more efficient for instructors.

2. How does technology improve accessibility in exams?

Technology can improve accessibility in exams by providing accommodations for students with disabilities, such as screen readers or alternative input devices. It can also offer various formats for exams, such as audio or braille, to cater to different learning styles.

3. What measures are taken to ensure the accuracy of exams when using technology?

To ensure accuracy, exams using technology typically have multiple layers of security and encryption to prevent cheating or tampering. Proctoring software may also be used to monitor students during the exam. Additionally, technology can provide instant feedback and grading, reducing the risk of human error.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using technology in exams?

Some potential drawbacks of using technology in exams include technical difficulties, which could disrupt the exam and cause stress for students. There may also be concerns about privacy and data security when using online testing platforms. Additionally, not all students may have access to the necessary technology, creating an unequal playing field.

5. How do you ensure fairness when using technology in exams?

To ensure fairness when using technology in exams, it is important to provide equal access to all students, regardless of their technological resources. This can be achieved by offering alternative options for students who may not have access to certain technology. It is also essential to regularly review and update the technology used in exams to ensure it is fair and inclusive for all students.