Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ted Stevens innocent!

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/31/stevens.debate/?iref=mpstoryview

What is this business that I heard about Palin? She could remove Stevens if he wins, and take his place in the Senate? Is that right?

Of course, Stevens was indeed convicted of multiple crimes, but he still arrived to a cheering crowd at home, in Alaska! Hmmmmm.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

It seems that in Alaska, if you have been convicted of felonies, you aren't REALLY a felon until you have dragged out the appeal process as long as possible, and lost. I'd love to see Stevens try to cast a vote for himself Tuesday to test that theory. (Add voter fraud to the list of charges.)

4. Oct 31, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He was tried in Federal Court, in DC, not in Alaska. He was convicted.

5. Oct 31, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It could well be, though I don't think she can remove him. She can appoint herself if he is removed or he resigns. That would be one way for her and Todd to get a new addition to their house for the Piper and the Trig to run around in.

I trust she understands that the US Senate doesn't offer per diems to stay at home and act like a queen.

6. Oct 31, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the point - Washington is not 'the real america' (tm) so it doesn't count!

7. Oct 31, 2008 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think the governor can remove a Senator. Being a criminal doesn't bar someone from serving as a Senator. If he wins the election, the Senate, itself, would have to boot him out of the Senate. If they booted him out (or if Stevens resigned during the process), then Palin could probably replace him with someone else. Each state is different, but most allow the governor to appoint at least a temporary replacement, either to serve out the old Senator's term or until a special election can be held.

Sometimes, I just don't get why a politician has to cling to the possibility of continuing in office no matter what. It amazes me how they claim innocence right up until the day after they lose the election, then accept a plea bargain. The threat of losing an elected office is worse than the threat of prison.

8. Oct 31, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ugh, I need to get a "Sarah Palin's Real America" map. I don't what is America, and what's not!

9. Oct 31, 2008 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anywhere that ATF is a shopping list rather than a goverment agency.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  10. Oct 31, 2008 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

wait a minute...being a convicted felon does not form an impediment to serving as a senator?. ... am i missing something here? there is a guy in georgia from an abusive home, who was accused of a sex crime against his sibling when he was 14, currently a responsible family man, who can't even live in a trailer if a school bus stops nearby. but he could be a senator? (where would he live???....)

11. Oct 31, 2008 #10

Vid

Actually in Georgia a convicted felon can still vote as long as he hasn't started his sentence yet. There was an article in the paper the other day about rapper T.I. voting in Atlanta even though he's been convicted of felony weapons charges for trying to buy an assault weapon. Maybe other states, including Alaska, having something similar to this?

12. Nov 1, 2008 #11
    Yes. Believe it or not. Of course, he would have to leave the Senate Chamber every time a school bus stops near by....

13. Nov 1, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

There are several states that do not strip voting rights from felons, even while they are incarcerated. I think the one exception in VT would be a conviction of voting fraud.

14. Nov 1, 2008 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I don't believe that he has exhausted his appeals as yet, in which case his conviction is only pending at least through the election.

Edit:
    http://www.adn.com/politics/story/574952.html

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?