Toxic Teflon: The Unseen Danger of Non-Stick Cookware

• Thread starter Dissident Dan
  • Start date
In summary: If I delete my post, will you delete yours ? :redface:Muhahahaha... :biggrin:No, I won't delete mine.
Dissident Dan
http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/es.php

In two to five minutes on a conventional stovetop, cookware coated with Teflon and other non-stick surfaces can exceed temperatures at which the coating breaks apart and emits toxic particles and gases linked to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of pet bird deaths and an unknown number of human illnesses each year, according to tests commissioned by Environmental Working Group (EWG).

At temperatures that DuPont scientists claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000°F), non-stick coatings break down to a chemical warfare agent known as PFIB, and a chemical analog of the WWII nerve gas phosgene.

WTF? Did any of you guys know anything about this? This is insane. It appears that when there's no war, DuPont, Monsanto, etc. try to adapt war chemicals into any use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dissident Dan said:
http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/es.php

WTF? Did any of you guys know anything about this? This is insane. It appears that when there's no war, DuPont, Monsanto, etc. try to adapt war chemicals into any use.
Yes, I knew about it. The pan has to reach a heat higher than used in normal cooking. But if you leave a teflon pan on the stove on high heat unattended, the fumes are toxic to birds.

Last edited by a moderator:
All halo-alkanes are toxic and most are carcinogens as well. If Teflon breaks down, it probably becomes either tetrafluoroethyne or difluoromethane or some such thing. These are definitely toxic carcinogens, and that's fairly common knowledge. I didn't know though, that it de-polymerizes at stove-top temperatures. I thought it melted before that.

Last edited:
Thank goodness I stuck with leadware. :approve:

I grew up with aluminum cookware, of course now they say cooking in aluminum may contribute to alzheimers. What was the question?

Thank God I'm safe. I just eat out.

:biggrin:

- Warren

chroot said:
Thank God I'm safe. I just eat out.

:biggrin:

- Warren

I wonder what they cook with ? :uhh:

Gokul,

That was part of the joke, man!

- Warren

:redface: If I delete my post, will you delete yours ? :redface:

Muhahahaha... :biggrin:

If you didn't get it, either it was a really good joke, or a really bad one. I'm not sure which.

- Warren

What is Teflon and why is it used in cookware?

Teflon is a brand name for a synthetic chemical compound called polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). It is used in cookware because of its non-stick properties, making it easier to cook and clean without food sticking to the surface.

Is Teflon safe to use in cookware?

The safety of Teflon has been a topic of controversy. While the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has deemed it safe for cooking, there are concerns about the potential health risks associated with its use.

What are the potential dangers of using Teflon cookware?

When Teflon is heated to high temperatures, it can release toxic fumes that can be harmful if inhaled. These fumes have been linked to a condition known as "Teflon flu" which can cause symptoms such as headaches, fever, and chills.

How can I minimize the risks of using Teflon cookware?

To minimize the risks of using Teflon cookware, it is recommended to use it at lower temperatures and avoid overheating. It is also important to use proper ventilation in the kitchen and to avoid using metal utensils on Teflon surfaces.

Are there safer alternatives to Teflon cookware?

Yes, there are alternative cookware materials such as ceramic, stainless steel, and cast iron that do not contain Teflon and are considered safer options. These materials may require more frequent oiling or seasoning, but they do not release toxic fumes when heated.