Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telling the future

1. May 16, 2005 #1
    i think the world is going in tracks.
    you know how people can really tell the future?
    they must of somehow already experienced this happening wich means the world could have been born 100 times and we just don't know it b/c it happens then blows up and know one is left to remeber what was there.
    any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. You're a loony.

No offence, like.

4. May 16, 2005 #3
    can I please have what you're smoking?

5. May 16, 2005 #4
    Why do you ask, moonrocks? Do have the feeling you have lived through stuff before?

6. May 16, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Oh great! Like there aren't enough reruns on TV already, now we have them in life too? :grumpy:

7. May 16, 2005 #6
    Let's face it, if there was any truth to futune telling, you wouldn't need an appointment to see a futune teller. :tongue:

8. May 16, 2005 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

No. Actually I don't know of a single person who can prove that they can tell the future.

9. May 16, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

moonrocks:
    You have eaten way too many fortune cookies.
    Begin on a diet program.

10. May 16, 2005 #9
    Well what is the mathematical or scientific explanation for being able to predict future events (psychics for example)?

11. May 16, 2005 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, but how would that work? Presumably the successful fortune teller would be busy, and you can't have people coming in whenever they feel like it. I guess the fortune teller would have to call you to set up the appointment. That wouldn't be too tough though, considering s/he already knows your availability. :rofl:

12. May 16, 2005 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There are none who can (and why do you bring maths into this??).

13. May 16, 2005 #12
    Did you hear about the vertically challanged fortune teller that escaped from jail? The headlines said:

SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE!

14. May 16, 2005 #13
    HAHAHAHAHAH!!! THATS MY NEW FAVORITE JOKE!

btw, i know the future, and since you're about to ask, no, i usually do it with my eyes closed.

15. May 16, 2005 #14
    you guys are so nice! i was just wondering! jeez!

16. May 16, 2005 #15
    gosh your nice!

17. May 16, 2005 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to a SCIENCE forum, mathrocks.

18. May 17, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I just checked your bio and now realize that you're a brand new PFer. What you must realize is that although we kid around a lot in this particular forum, we all take science, the learning thereof, and the teaching thereof very seriously. The subject that you brought up has absolutely no validity, and so evoked some of the kind of responses that we treat each other to. Foreseeing the future isn't even theoretically possible.

19. May 17, 2005 #18
    And therefore often feel free to attack and bash anyone who sounds "looney" like sharks at a feeding frenzy.
    But what subject did he actually bring up?
    This sounds very much to me like someone who might be experiencing alot of "deja vus" without realizing what they are and that other people have them, and that they only create the illusion that life is running on tracks, that the world must be recycling itself over and over.

People ought not to jump on "unscientific" people so gleefully. Questions like, "How old are you, exactly?" (Could be a ten year old kid) and "Why do you ask?" "What is it you mean?" are more in order.

20. May 17, 2005 #19

You know how people can really tell the future?

Easy. After all we can predict eclipses thousands of years in advance, and exactly where on earth the will be visible from (in fact we can make these predictions for any planet in the solar system, its the same physics involved). We can predict trajectories of falling objects. We can predict how electrons will interact to within 99.96% accuracy. We can predict weather to reasonable accuraccy a week in advance (something only limited by the vast disparity between the number of degrees of freedom we can model, and the number of degrees of freedom that actually exist in the weather system).

This isn't phenomenal enough though is it? Is that not predicting the future? Oh, but we understand it, so no that doesn't count. It has to be mysterious, and supernatural, otherwise its boring, right?

You know, if you bothered to learn about reality you might realize jsut how fascinating it actually is. And how amazing our REAL predictive abilities really are.

And as for being nice? Only to threads above TD quality. Never ones below it (is that even possible?).

21. May 17, 2005 #20
    Fair enough, you make a valid point. But having to live in the real world of unscientific people, categorically incapable of forming an independant thought of their own, much less a scientific one (these specimens are best known as sheeple), leaves some of us unwilling to be so tolerant in the place we consider to be our refuge. But you are right. We should at least give the neophytes a chance to explain themselves before ordering the pack the close in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?