"Temperature feel" and evaporation

• Thread starter Ronny33344
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evaporation
In summary, the data can be used to calculate "temperature feel" for hot days, but it requires measures of relative humidity and barometric pressure.
Ronny33344
Is there a formula relating "temperature feel" to measured temperature and evaporation of water in an evaporation pan (in mm)?
I have data on:
*average temperature
*evaporation of water in an evaporation pan
*minimum temperature of water in an evaporation pan
*maximum temperature of water in an evaporation pan

I want to somehow calculate or approximate "temperature feel" for hot days, something like the temperature-humidity index. Is that possible from this data?

I'm a social scientist and I know absolutely nothing about this stuff, so please excuse me if this question is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Also, why is my text so big compared to everyone else's?

Ronny33344 said:
Also, why is my text so big compared to everyone else's?
Your copy/pasted text included BBcode formatting tags. I've removed them for you :smile:

Likes Ronny33344
The question is not ridiculous, but it is not straightforward either. First you would need to define what "temperature feel" means because I've never heard of it before. There are, however, measures that attempt to reconcile weather conditions against what you feel, such as heat index and wbgt. You should probably google and read up on them and see if they meet your needs.

Likes Ronny33344
Heat index and wbgt require relative humidity as an input. I don't have relative humidity in my data. :(

gneill said:
Your copy/pasted text included BBcode formatting tags. I've removed them for you :smile:
Thanks.

Sorry, missed the response...
Ronny33344 said:
Heat index and wbgt require relative humidity as an input. I don't have relative humidity in my data. :(
You should be able to calculate RH from your data for the heat index, but wbgt does not require RH -- you should be able to use your data directly.

Likes Elliot Svensson
If you think of yourself as an instrument for measuring things, then what is "I feel cold" or "I feel hot" measuring? As an engineer, it seems to me that a person doesn't measure temperature but heat transfer, i.e. the passage of thermal energy from your skin and hair to the environment or vice versa.

To me this is confirmed by the experiment with the three cups of water, one cold, one hot, and one lukewarm... when you set your hands in the cold and hot cups for a while, and simultaneously put them both in the lukewarm cup, it seems that the lukewarm cup is either quite hot or quite cold--- but not lukewarm.

I think that this thought I have is also confirmed by how well the measurement of wind chill factor predicts the need for a coat, and that folks are advised to get out of the sun to relieve heatstroke. Both wind and sun don't change the air temperature immediately, but they do change a person's heat transfer.

For relative humidity I would choose either your minimum or maximum temperature in the evaporating pan as equivalent to "wet bulb temperature". Having re-named your data this way, the equation for relative humidity is super-common, being a well-used calculation by weather people. You will also need barometric pressure, but you may find that assuming constant pressure doesn't really change your analysis.

Is the minimum a daily minimum or a measurement from a different sensor, i.e. perhaps at the bottom instead of the top of the pan?

Related to "Temperature feel" and evaporation

1. What is the difference between temperature feel and actual temperature?

Temperature feel refers to the perceived temperature by our skin, while actual temperature refers to the numerical measurement of the air temperature. This means that even though the actual temperature may be the same, our skin may feel warmer or colder depending on factors such as wind, humidity, and our individual sensitivity.

2. How does temperature feel affect our perception of evaporation?

Temperature feel plays a significant role in our perception of evaporation. When the air feels warm, we tend to perceive more moisture in the air and therefore think that evaporation is occurring more quickly. On the other hand, when the air feels cold, we may perceive little to no evaporation, even though it may still be occurring at the same rate.

3. Does temperature feel impact the rate of evaporation?

Yes, temperature feel can impact the rate of evaporation. Our perception of temperature can affect how quickly we think evaporation is occurring, but the actual rate of evaporation is primarily influenced by the actual temperature, humidity, and air movement.

4. How does evaporation occur at different temperature feels?

Evaporation occurs at all temperature feels, but the rate may vary. At higher temperature feels, our skin may feel warmer and more moisture in the air, leading to a perception of faster evaporation. However, at lower temperature feels, our skin may feel cooler and less moisture in the air, leading to a perception of slower evaporation.

5. How does humidity affect temperature feel and evaporation?

Humidity plays a significant role in temperature feel and evaporation. When humidity is high, our skin may feel warmer because our sweat cannot evaporate as easily, and therefore, our perception of temperature is higher. In terms of evaporation, high humidity can slow down the process because the air is already saturated with moisture, making it more difficult for additional moisture to evaporate.