Why evaporative cooling is a constant wet bulb temp process?

In summary, the dew point is the temperature to which the ambient air must be cooled to reach 100% relative humidity assuming there is no evaporation into the air; it is the point where condensate (dew) and rain would form. The wet bulb temperature is the lowest thermodynamic temperature of air that can be achieved at ambient condition, by creating 100% relative humidity in the immediate surrounding of the thermometer using cotton wick. The adiabatic saturation process is a constant enthalpy process; just redistribution of molecules within system. And evaporative coolers are also said to be a constant wet bulb temperature process; HOW? Wet bulb temperature is defined at the point where 100% relative humidity is achieved not
Ravi Singh choudhary
Wet bulb temperature is the lowest thermodynamic temperature of air that can be achieved at ambient condition, by creating 100% relative humidity in the immediate surrounding of the thermometer using cotton wick.

As Wikipedia says "By contrast, the dew point is the temperature to which the ambient air must be cooled to reach 100% relative humidity assuming there is no evaporation into the air; it is the point where condensate (dew) and rain would form."

So I am clear with the definition of both the terms.
Now come to the adiabatic saturation process; where I understand how it is a constant enthalpy process; just redistribution of molecules within system.

My doubt:
(i) What is the difference between dew point and wet bulb temperature; both appears same to me?
(ii) In textbooks it is quoted as wet bulb temperature is approximately same as wet bulb temperature; why this approximately term is used. Both should have exactly same, as both have final condition of 100% relative humidity and both are achieved by evaporation of water molecules to the unsaturated air.

(iii)Now come to evaporative coolers; say a sand pot, it is also said to be constant wet bulb temperature process, HOW?; Wet bulb temperature is defined at the point where 100% relative humidity is achieved not before same as adiabatic saturation temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ravi Singh choudhary said:
(i) What is the difference between dew point and wet bulb temperature; both appears same to me?
Att 100% relative humidity they are.
One would notice a big difference at 0% relative humidity.

In textbooks it is quoted as wet bulb temperature is approximately same as wet bulb temperature
I believe you mean "adiabatic saturation temperature" for one of the terms.
Put a control volume around the long chamber for the adiabatic saturation process, and how is heat transferred. What temperature and of what are we recording at the output?

Put a control volume around the wet bulb process, and how is heat transferred. What temperature and of what are we recoding?

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
But adiabatic temperature is measured when air is saturated. In case of wet bulb only cotton wick is saturated, not the air flowing nearby, that means all the time water from cotton wick will evaporate there.

256bits said:
Put a control volume around the long chamber for the adiabatic saturation process, and how is heat transferred. What temperature and of what are we recording at the output?

Put a control volume around the wet bulb process, and how is heat transferred. What temperature and of what are we recoding?

Putting control volume around the long chamber for a adiabatic saturation process; there is no heat transfer across the boundary. Inside the boundary; water is evaporating and humidity is increasing. While in the case of wet bulb thermometer there is a heat transfer to the cotton wick and water is also at the same time evaporating from cotton maintaining equilibrium temperature.

Does that make sense?

Putting control volume around the long chamber for a adiabatic saturation process; there is no heat transfer across the boundary. Inside the boundary; water is evaporating and humidity is increasing. While in the case of wet bulb thermometer there is a heat transfer to the cotton wick and water is also at the same time evaporating from cotton maintaining equilibrium temperature.

Does that make sense?
Makes sense.

256bits said:
Makes sense.
I understood both individually. My doubt is; is it a coincidence of both things are same or what?

Bro as per my understanding WBT and thermodyanamic WBT has very little difference .Simply WBT is not at saturation of air but close to saturation of air but thermodyanamic WBT is for 100 %RH or fully saturated air .

1. Why does evaporative cooling maintain a constant wet bulb temperature?

The process of evaporative cooling involves the evaporation of water from a surface, typically a wet bulb, to lower the temperature of the surrounding air. This process is constant because as the water evaporates, it removes heat from the air, causing the wet bulb temperature to remain constant.

2. How does evaporative cooling differ from traditional air conditioning?

Unlike traditional air conditioning, which uses refrigerant to cool air, evaporative cooling uses water to lower the temperature. This makes it a more environmentally friendly option and also requires less energy to operate.

3. Does evaporative cooling work in all climates?

Evaporative cooling is most effective in dry, arid climates where the air is hot and humidity is low. In humid climates, the air already contains a high amount of moisture, making it less effective for evaporation to take place.

4. Can evaporative cooling be used for industrial or commercial cooling?

Yes, evaporative cooling can be used for industrial and commercial cooling. In fact, it is often used in large buildings, warehouses, and outdoor events as a cost-effective and energy-efficient cooling solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using evaporative cooling?

One limitation of evaporative cooling is that it can only lower the temperature to the wet bulb temperature. This means that in extremely hot and dry climates, it may not be able to provide enough cooling to reach a comfortable temperature. Additionally, it can only be used in areas with access to a water source.