Temperature increment of polymer due to pressure in ultrasonic welding

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
adso81
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I want to do a very simplified model to try to modelize the change of temperature in ultrasonic welding of polimers.
As a starting point, I only want to simulate the change of temperature of a 1D homogeneous polymer (viscoelastic solid) when I apply a constant pressure and ultrasounds on it.

I considered two types of models:
-an energetic one using the energy of the ultrasonic wave, the impedances for the transmited-reflected energy and de absorption coeficient of the materials
-a mechanical one, considering the strain induced by the sonotrode and the resulting stress using the Voigth model. Then the work done by the material is obtained and, from this, the quantity of heat generated.

My question/problem is: how can I introduce in these models the heat generated due to the applied pressure in the solid ?

If anyone can help me, i would be pleased.
Thank you
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
in anticipation.The best way to account for the heat generated due to the applied pressure in a solid is to use a finite element analysis (FEA) model. FEA is a numerical simulation method used to solve complex problems in engineering, physics, and other scientific disciplines. In FEA, you can consider the mechanical properties of the material, such as the elastic modulus, Poisson's ratio, thermal conductivity, and specific heat, to calculate the amount of heat generated by the applied pressure. You can also consider the temperature-dependent properties of the material, such as the viscosity, to further refine your model. Additionally, you can also account for the thermal losses from the surface of the material due to convection, radiation, and/or conduction.