1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature Measurement Using 8051 Microcontroller

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    Hi..please help me in designing a temperature measurement device using 8051 microcontroller.
    some one please help me out...with the circuit diagram please:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Unfortunately, we don't do your work for you here. However, we will help you help yourself!

• Can you program?
    • Do you know much about electronics?
    • Do you know what type of sensor you want to use (you need one), or where you need to take readings (fluid, surface, etc.)?
    • What temperature range you're likely to see?
    • What kind of output do you want?

If you answer no or don't know to a lot of these questions, and you need this pretty soon, you may be better off buying an appropriate temperature measurement device.

4. Nov 27, 2009 #3
    thanks for replying...i m a B.tech Final Year student in Electronics nd instrumentation engineering
    • yes i can do the programing part...
    • Sensor (to be used)--->DS1620
    • Micro controller (to be used)---->89c52

5. Nov 27, 2009 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Well, as a final year B.Tech in instrumentation and electronics, you should be able to do this (at least in general).

Start by looking at the datasheet for the sensor:
    http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS1620.pdf

Clearly, this is a digital device and doesn't require you to sample an analog voltage via your ADC (Analog to Digital Converter). It also tells you that you'll need to use their 3-Wire Communications Protocol, using Reset, Data (Bidirectional) and Clock. Data is bidirectional, which means you'll need to use the same pin (on your 8051) to transmit and receive data.

Now, put the 8051 and the DS1620 on a breadboard, wire them up, and try to get them communicating with one another. You'll need the datasheet for the 89c52:
    http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc0313.pdf

If you have specific questions, we can try to help you through them, but we can't do your task for you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook