Pressure Difference measurement using Pressure Sensors / Transducers

  1. Dear All,

    I am not sure if this is the right place or not for this post so i apologise in advance if not.

    I am trying to find some pressure sensors / transducers to measure the pressure difference (with respect to static pressure) at points on a circular cylinder model installed inside a Wind Tunnel. This is the classic Flow over Cylinder experiment, but for the project I am working on, I am supposed to use pressure sensors / transducers to measure the pressure difference and display it in LabVIEW software.

    The installed model (cylinder) has ten tapping points to which tubes are connected, and there is an additional tube that gives the static head inside the wind tunnel.

    In LabVIEW, I want to display the ten pressure difference values (all with respect to static pressure).

    I hope someone could help me out with some suggestions.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. boneh3ad

    boneh3ad 1,634
    Gold Member

    You didn't ask a question. What are you hoping we can help you with?
  4. Apologies. Here's the question:

    What I really want to know is what pressure sensor / transducer (make / manufacturer) I should be using for this task.

    Pardon me for my ignorance, but I've never worked with pressure sensors / transducers before.

    I am hoping to measure the pressure difference by connecting the tubes to the pressure sensor / transducer, and to display the pressure difference values in LabVIEW.

    Any help / pointers would be highly appreciated.
  5. jim hardy

    jim hardy 4,488
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

    You might start with National's introduction

    there are at least a zillion transducers to choose from

    here's a hobby site's smorgasboard
    probably the same ones as this industrial outfit offers
    and their smorgasboard is

    Ashcroft is an old name in industrial & commercial equipment

    here's what we used in the nuclear plant

    pick your price range first, your differential pressure range second, then your preferred method of interface .

    Be aware flow is a "noisy" process due to turbulence. Rosemount makes differential pressure transmitters for flow measurement as well as for level measurement which is a quieter process.
    Your Labview i would think allows you to tailor signal smoothing as needed.
  6. boneh3ad

    boneh3ad 1,634
    Gold Member

    I second pretty much everything you already said. This part here is likely a non-issue, though. Most likely the transfer function associated with any sort of tubing attached to his pressure ports is going to attenuate any high-frequency pressure fluctuations and read back nearly the mean. If the actual desire is to resolve the higher frequencies, moving to something like a Kulite or an Endevco transducer may be necessary.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted