1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature Variance with Resistivity

1. Mar 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known datati
    A resistance thermometer, which measures temperature by measuring the change in resistance of a conductor, is made of platinum and has a resistance of 50.0 Ohms? at 20.0°C. (a) When the device is immersed in a vessel containing melting indium, its resistance increases to 76.8 Ohms?. From this information, find the melting point of indium.

(b) The indium is heated further until it reaches a temperature of 235°C. What is the ratio of the new current in the platinum to the current Imp at the melting point?

2. Relevant equations

## R = R_0 [1+\alpha(T-T_0)] ##
    ##\alpha_{plat} = 3.92 \cdot 10^{-3}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part (a), the answer is 157 degrees Celsius. (Says in the book as well)

Now, I'm getting 2 different answers for part (b) when using ## T_0 = 20## and ##T_0 = 157##.

When ##T_0 = 20##, the final resistance is ##50[1+\alpha \cdot 215] = 92.14##

When ##T_0 = 157##, the final resistance is ##76.8[1+\alpha \cdot 78] = 100.2##

Why the large discrepancy with calculating the same thing? (The 2nd one is correct, per the book)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The resistance of the Pt thermometer is almost linear function of the temperature in a wide range.
    You have to keep To= 20 C° and Ro=50 Ω, and calculate the resistance from the formula R(T) = Ro(1+α(T-To)).

4. Mar 25, 2015 #3
    Yes, that is what I did in the first calculation; however, the book performs the second calculation (and obtains diff. answer)

5. Mar 25, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

from where is 185 from?????

6. Mar 25, 2015 #5
    I changed it to 215, which is 235 - 20.

7. Mar 26, 2015 #6
    Anyone can figure out problem?

8. Mar 26, 2015 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Read my post #2. The coefficient α=3.92⋅10−3 °C is valid if To=20 °C, Ro=50Ω. You can not use it for other To-s. The book is wrong.
    Think: If the book was right, changing the temperature by a small amount dT and getting the resistance at T+dT, you would have the equation: R(T+dT)= R(T)(1+αdT).
    If dt is small, R(T+dT) = R(T) +(dR/dT )dT, and the equation is equivalent to the differential equation dR/dT=αR(T), with the solution R(T)= RoeαT, an exponential function instead of a linear one.

9. Mar 26, 2015 #8
    ...are you sure? I'm fairly confident it's a decent book :/

10. Mar 26, 2015 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted