Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temporal and Spatial Coherence

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    What is the difference between the two in simple terms ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The thing to keep in mind is that coherence is a statistical measure of phase. Specifically, if I know the phase at some point in space-time, coherence determines how precisely the phase at some other point in space-time is known. For example;

If I know the phase of a wave at time, t1 and position x1;
    - if the wave is perfectly temporally coherent then I can precisely determine the phase of a wave at time t2 and position x1.
    - if the wave is perfectly spatially coherent then I can precisely determine the phase of a wave at time t1 and position x2.
    - For a perfectly incoherent wave, the phase at t1 and x1 tells me nothing about the phase at different times and in different points in space.
    - For partially coherent waves, I can determine the phase at different times and positions within a precision determined by the degree of (temporal and spatial) coherence.

Note too that;
    - If the x-direction is parallel to the direction of wave propagation then temporal and spatial coherence are linked via c = x/t.
    - If the x-direction is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation then the temporal and spatial coherence are independent. That is, a wave can be simultaneously spatially coherent and temporally incoherent (and vice-versa).

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook