Temporal and Spatial Coherence

• Thread starter elemis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coherence
In summary, coherence is a statistical measure of phase that determines how precisely the phase at one point in space-time is known based on the phase at another point. For perfectly coherent waves, the phase at one point can be used to determine the phase at different times and positions with high precision. However, for partially coherent waves, the precision is dependent on the degree of coherence. Additionally, the direction of wave propagation affects the relationship between temporal and spatial coherence.
elemis
What is the difference between the two in simple terms ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing to keep in mind is that coherence is a statistical measure of phase. Specifically, if I know the phase at some point in space-time, coherence determines how precisely the phase at some other point in space-time is known. For example;

If I know the phase of a wave at time, t1 and position x1;
- if the wave is perfectly temporally coherent then I can precisely determine the phase of a wave at time t2 and position x1.
- if the wave is perfectly spatially coherent then I can precisely determine the phase of a wave at time t1 and position x2.
- For a perfectly incoherent wave, the phase at t1 and x1 tells me nothing about the phase at different times and in different points in space.
- For partially coherent waves, I can determine the phase at different times and positions within a precision determined by the degree of (temporal and spatial) coherence.

Note too that;
- If the x-direction is parallel to the direction of wave propagation then temporal and spatial coherence are linked via c = x/t.
- If the x-direction is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation then the temporal and spatial coherence are independent. That is, a wave can be simultaneously spatially coherent and temporally incoherent (and vice-versa).

Claude.

1. What is temporal coherence?

Temporal coherence is a measure of how consistent a wave's phase is over time. In other words, it describes the degree to which a wave maintains a constant frequency and wavelength over time.

2. How is temporal coherence quantified?

Temporal coherence is typically quantified using the coherence time, which is the amount of time over which the phase of a wave remains constant. The higher the coherence time, the more coherent the wave is.

3. What is spatial coherence?

Spatial coherence refers to how consistent a wave's phase is in space. It describes the degree to which a wave maintains a constant frequency and wavelength across different points in space.

4. How is spatial coherence related to temporal coherence?

Spatial coherence and temporal coherence are closely related, as they both measure the consistency of a wave's phase. In fact, temporal coherence can be thought of as a measure of spatial coherence over time.

5. Why is coherence important in scientific research?

Coherence is important in scientific research because it allows for precise control and manipulation of waves. This is especially useful in fields such as optics and acoustics, where coherence is necessary for techniques such as interferometry and holography.