Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tennis ball gun, muzzle velocity

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    I am designing a tennis ball gun and am trying to work out the forces involved. It is essentially elastic powered but at this stage all I need to know at this stage is this: with the gun at a 20 degree incline what muzzle velocity would result in the ball travelling 50 metres?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2
    Are you familiar with the SUVAT equations?

4. Dec 7, 2015 #3
    Sorry for delay, but no, however will google them after this reply, thanks for lead. My problem is this, I think I have a viable design for imparting a fair amount of velocity to the ball. It uses a dense coil of catapult elastic which is stretched using a geared crank. releasing the coil propels the ball via a bellows type arrangement which in effect is a large caliber pea-shooter. I want to estimate the range of the design as it stands to see if it will reach the minimum 50m range. To do this I guess I need to find muzzle velocity and then find the amount of energy needed to accelerate the ball to that velocity. Then I need to figure out the amount of energy that can be stored by the elastic. I am hoping the quantity of elastic in the design is sufficient to acheive the range. Any further hints welcome.

5. Dec 7, 2015 #4
    It looks like you have the right idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook