Tennis Ball Launcher: Build a Mechanical Launcher

In summary, the conversation is about creating a purely mechanical tennis ball launcher for training kids between the ages of 6-12. The challenge is to create the mechanism without using any elastic parts such as springs, bands, or rubber. The speaker is seeking help for this project and is advised to start a new thread in the Homework Help forums and show their work and research so far.
aga78
I have a project which consists in making a tennis ball launcher for training kids (6-12 years), but there is a catch, the mechanism can't have any elastic parts (springs, bands, rubber). It has to be purely mechanical. I need help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

This sounds like a schoolwork assignment, no? If so, please start a new thread in the Homework Help forums and fill out the Template there showing your work on this so far. Thanks.

Also, for when you re-post, please show what you have found with your searching so far. Google Images is a great tool for initial searching for things...

http://s60.radikal.ru/i169/1407/f1/7ab204974a8f.jpg
1555881586696.png

1. What materials do I need to build a tennis ball launcher?

To build a mechanical tennis ball launcher, you will need a PVC pipe, a rubber band, a wooden dowel, a trigger mechanism, screws, and a drill. You may also need a hacksaw and sandpaper to cut and smooth the PVC pipe.

2. How does a tennis ball launcher work?

A tennis ball launcher works by using stored energy from a compressed rubber band to launch a tennis ball. The rubber band is attached to a trigger mechanism, which releases the energy when pulled, propelling the ball forward.

3. How far can a tennis ball launcher launch a ball?

The distance a tennis ball launcher can launch a ball depends on various factors such as the strength of the rubber band, the angle of the launcher, and the weight of the ball. On average, a homemade mechanical launcher can launch a ball up to 20-30 feet.

4. Can I modify the design of a tennis ball launcher?

Yes, you can modify the design of a tennis ball launcher to suit your needs. You can experiment with different trigger mechanisms, adjust the angle of the launcher, or add features like a reloading mechanism. Just be sure to follow safety precautions and use appropriate materials.

5. Is it safe to use a tennis ball launcher?

When used properly and with caution, a tennis ball launcher can be safe. However, it is important to always wear protective gear, such as goggles, when using the launcher. It is also recommended to have adult supervision when children are using the launcher.