1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensile stress with unequal forces

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    I need to find the stress σ (defined as normal force/area, in N/m^2) for the following simple situation. The forces are not equal. I can't wrap my head around what's going on - the whole system should be accelerated, so what's the final force that should be used for calculating the stress?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    Shouldn't it depend where along the length of the sample you evaluate the stress? I think the stress will be greatest at the "front" end, the end moving forward?

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The force and hence the stress in the accelerating sample is variable, and at a maximum, as Spinnor has noted, at the 'front' end. You should draw a Free Body Diagram and apply Newton's 2nd Law to find what force acts at any given section, and in particular, what is the force at the front end? Back end? Middle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook