What will be stress in the unbalanced force situation

In summary: However, in this case, the stress in the middle section will also be the same for all masses of the bar, since the cross sectional area remains uniform.
Ravi Singh choudhary
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

upload_2016-6-1_1-57-22.png

Problem Statement:
Case 1: Mass is m; Cross sectional area is uniform A. What will be the stress in the middle section.
Case 2: Bar is massless; What will be the stress in the middle section.
Case 3: Bar is still assumed massless but 100F is increased to 500F; What will be the stress in the middle section.

Relevant equation: F/A; point is to find internal force in each situation.

My attempt to the solution: I found the acceleration simply by dividing "m" to the net force "99F". My poor understanding about stress was; it only acts when body in is zero unbalanced force. Simply we have to find the internal force at point which stress need to be calculated. But I realized even after there is unbalanced force situation we have internal force at particular section.

So I solved for case I: a=(99F/m)
After solving equation F1-F=(m/2)*a; I found the value of F1 i.e. (101/2)F
stress will be F1/A.
upload_2016-6-1_2-10-23.png

But solution given was 99F/A i.e. stress due to original force configuration at middle section.

For Case 2 and Case 3; I am clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the forces acting on the individual wagons in a train which is being accelerated by the pull of an engine .

Ravi Singh choudhary said:
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

View attachment 101475
Problem Statement:
Case 1: Mass is m; Cross sectional area is uniform A. What will be the stress in the middle section.
Case 2: Bar is massless; What will be the stress in the middle section.
Case 3: Bar is still assumed massless but 100F is increased to 500F; What will be the stress in the middle section.

Relevant equation: F/A; point is to find internal force in each situation.

My attempt to the solution: I found the acceleration simply by dividing "m" to the net force "99F". My poor understanding about stress was; it only acts when body in is zero unbalanced force. Simply we have to find the internal force at point which stress need to be calculated. But I realized even after there is unbalanced force situation we have internal force at particular section.

So I solved for case I: a=(99F/m)
After solving equation F1-F=(m/2)*a; I found the value of F1 i.e. (101/2)F
stress will be F1/A.
View attachment 101476
I confirm this answer. Nicely done.
But solution given was 99F/A i.e. stress due to original force configuration at middle section.
In my judgment, this is not correct.
For Case 2 and Case 3; I am clueless.
In case 1, the mass of the bar is not specified. So, we can make the mass as small as we wish (of course, the acceleration will get higher and higher). However, in the limit of very small masses, the answer for case 2 will be the same as for case 1. In case 3, you apply the same methodology as for cases 1 and 2.

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary

1. What causes unbalanced forces?

Unbalanced forces occur when there is a net force acting on an object, meaning that the forces are not equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This can be caused by external factors such as gravity, friction, or applied forces.

2. How does unbalanced force affect an object?

In an unbalanced force situation, the object will experience a change in its motion. If the forces are acting in the same direction, the object will accelerate in that direction. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, the object will decelerate or change direction.

3. How is stress related to unbalanced forces?

In the context of physics, stress is a measure of the internal forces within an object. In an unbalanced force situation, these internal forces may increase, causing the object to experience physical stress and potentially leading to deformation or breakage.

4. Can unbalanced forces be balanced?

Yes, unbalanced forces can be balanced by adjusting the magnitude or direction of one or more forces. This will result in a net force of zero, causing the object to remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.

5. How can we calculate the stress in an unbalanced force situation?

The stress in an unbalanced force situation can be calculated using the formula stress = force/area. This takes into account the magnitude of the force and the area over which it is applied. The stress can also be affected by the material properties of the object, such as its elasticity or strength.