Tension, 2 masses, 2 cords hanging vertical

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a free body diagram to solve for the tensions in the strings of an elevator with two blocks attached to it. The question also asks for a formula to solve similar problems.
gablec2
Two blocks each of mass m = 3.50 kg are fastened to the top of an elevator as in the figure below.--- this is a horizontal version because I am on a comp. [top of elevator]--string1--[block #1 3.5kg]--string2--[block #2 3.5kg]
(a) If the elevator accelerates upward at 1.6 m/s2, find the tensions T1 and T2 in the upper and lower strings.

(b) If the strings can withstand a maximum tension of 87.0 N, what maximum acceleration can the elevator have before the first string breaks?
m/s2

first time here, HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can start by drawing the free body diagram of the individual strings

I did, but I need some serious help aka answer. I have 2 free body diagrams.
Can you give me the formulas to complete the question.. also using it as a template for other problems
thanks

Well the only 'template' i can think of will be [tex]\sum F[/tex]=ma where F is all the forces acting on a object. For your case T-mg=0 when they are in equilibrium aka not moving and T-mg=ma when they are moving and the 'a' will be the acceleration of the object.

What is the equation for calculating tension in a system with 2 masses and 2 cords hanging vertically?

The equation for calculating tension in this system is T = (m1 + m2)g, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the angle of the cords affect the tension in this system?

The angle of the cords does not affect the tension in this system, as long as the cords are in a vertical position.

What is the relationship between the two masses and the tension in this system?

The tension in this system is directly proportional to the sum of the masses. As the masses increase, the tension also increases.

What happens to the tension if one of the cords breaks?

If one of the cords breaks, all of the tension will be transferred to the remaining cord. This can result in the remaining cord breaking as well, if it is unable to support the increased tension.

Can the tension in this system ever be greater than the weight of the masses?

No, the tension in this system can never be greater than the weight of the masses. The tension is simply the force required to hold the masses in place, and it cannot exceed the force of gravity acting on the masses.