Tension force of a thread in a complex structure of six masless rods

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving tension forces in rods and the use of an inextensible thread. The correct answer is derived and the symbols used in the solution are explained. The concept of the pantograph is also mentioned as a helpful tool in understanding the problem.
Kino Physics
Homework Statement
On a weightless structure of articulated rods, a weight with mass 𝑚 is suspended. What is the tension force T of the red thread? The six rods form two identical diamonds.
Relevant Equations
Newton's Second Law; Law of Conservation of energy ( potentially)
tension_stupid.PNG

At first I tried solving the problemteh following way:
Due to symmetry let the rods connected to the green rod have tension forces in magnitde T1 => mg = 2T1cos(a), where a is half the angle formed by the two rods. From tere I got an expression from the longer rods in the force projected by them is T2 in magnitude, which is equal to T1 due to the balance of forces in the x direction in the joint of the short and long rods , such that T1sin(a)=T2sin(a) and from there I get that T =mg.
However if I assume that teh thread is extensible and solve the balance of forces with the thread acing as a spring by integration the work of the gravitational force I get that k(dl)^2/2= mg(2dl).
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Kino Physics , :welcome: !
Kino Physics said:
T =mg
is the wrong answer ...

You may assume the red thread is inextensible. And if you don't want that, then still the answer should be inependent of ##k##.

Kino Physics said:
k(dl)^2/2= mg(2dl)
$$ k (\Delta l)^2/2 = 2mg\Delta l\ \ \ ?$$is hard to read and unfinished: there is a relationship between ##\Delta l## and mg

Likes Kino Physics
Thak you for the swift reply! As you corretly guessed I meant to write
$$ k (\Delta l)^2/2 = 2mg\Delta l\ \ \ $$ And from there to derive that T=4mg
I am sorry for the inconvinience!

No reason to apologise !
But you could do me a favour and explain the symbols ...

Likes Kino Physics
m is the mass of the weight
k is the spring constant
$$ \Delta l $$ is the diffrence between the unextended diagonal of the square that got stretched to a rhombus and the long diagonal of the rombus
g is the gravitational accelaration
This is the notation I used.
If you could give insight on the methods used to derive a solution involving an inextensive thread that would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!

My question was a disguised way to let you look again at ##\Delta l## for the spring and ##\Delta l## for the mass ... are they really equal ?

Goole pantograph :smile:

Likes Kino Physics
For the mass the change in height is equal to 2##\Delta l## . :)

Likes BvU
Well done !

Likes Kino Physics
Thanks for the help!

Likes BvU
You are welcome. It's fun to help ..

1. What is tension force in a thread?

Tension force in a thread is the force that is exerted on the thread when it is pulled taut. It is a measure of the internal forces within the thread that are trying to maintain its length and keep it from breaking.

2. What is a complex structure of six massless rods?

A complex structure of six massless rods refers to a system of six interconnected rods that have no mass. This type of structure is often used in physics experiments to simplify calculations and focus on the forces at play.

3. How is tension force calculated in a complex structure of six massless rods?

Tension force in a complex structure of six massless rods can be calculated using the principles of statics. It involves analyzing the forces acting on each individual rod and using equations such as Newton's laws of motion to determine the tension force in each thread.

4. Why is tension force important in a complex structure of six massless rods?

Tension force is important in a complex structure of six massless rods because it helps us understand the stability and equilibrium of the structure. By analyzing the tension forces in each thread, we can determine if the structure is able to withstand external forces without collapsing.

5. How does the length of the thread affect the tension force in a complex structure of six massless rods?

The length of the thread can affect the tension force in a complex structure of six massless rods by changing the angle at which the thread is pulled. As the length of the thread increases, the angle of pull decreases, resulting in a decrease in tension force. This relationship can be described by the law of cosines.