Tension in a string being pulled from both ends

In summary, the total tension in a string being pulled on each end by 60N is 60N. This is because the forces have both magnitude and direction, and cannot simply be added together like numbers. In order to determine tension, it is best to draw a free body diagram and analyze the forces acting on the object. In the case of a string being pulled on both ends with equal force, the net force is zero and therefore the tension is the same as the force being applied on each end. If one end of the string is tied to a fixed object, the tension will be the same as the force being applied on the other end. However, if the forces applied on each end are different, the tension will also be different
Imtiaz Ahmad said:
both have different direction
What have different direction? Tension has an inward direction, as opposed to the outward direction of a compression. The forces exerted at the two ends of the (straight) string by the tension are in opposite directions. But it doesn't really mean anything to say that a tension is in the opposite direction to a force.

Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
What have different direction? Tension has an inward direction, as opposed to the outward direction of a compression. The forces exerted at the two ends of the (straight) string by the tension are in opposite directions. But it doesn't really mean anything to say that a tension is in the opposite direction to a force.
Yes, that's my mean

But I still don't get this
If the string is being pulled by forces 60 and 70N from either ends then what's the tension
1.On first thought I think tension should be greater than 60N..because earlier in the discussion I saw when the string was being pulled with 60N from either sides tension was 60..now since I increased one of the forces then shouldn't there be greater stretched tendency sort of? I.e greater tension than 60N?
On second thought
I imagine a situation let there be a mass m , attached to it is an ideal string now apply force F on th side opposite to where the string is stuck directly on the block tension must be 0..you can do the math now when the string is being pulled in opposite direction of F with force f...then tension is f ... again you can do the math I've done it...connecting this to this question I asked let the original force "F" be 70 and "f" be 60 therefore I arrive at tension=60...as you can see I'm utterly confused with my own thought processes . Any help and explanation is greatly appreciated

Nutan said:
If the string is being pulled by forces 60 and 70N from either ends then what's the tension
What would be the net force on the string? What will happen in consequence?

Likes Chestermiller
Consider what happens if you subject a string to 1,000,000N in one direction and 0.000,000,1N in the other. What do you think the tension in the string will be?

Ok so I have a similar homework problem and I've read the thread but I'm still failing to understand. Sorry if it's dumb and repetitive, but if you had a string on a pulley with two weights on each side, each exerting a force of 80N would the tension on the string be the same throughout? Would the centre of the string have a tension of 0?

Last edited:
NicholasJ said:
would the tension on the string be the same throughout?
Yes.
Think of the string as made up of a lot of short segments. Each part pulls on each of its neighbours with the same force.

+1

Break the problem into parts and think about the forces that adjacent parts apply on it.

Likes vela and Navin
NicholasJ said:
Ok so I have a similar homework problem and I've read the thread but I'm still failing to understand. Sorry if it's dumb and repetitive, but if you had a string on a pulley with two weights on each side, each exerting a force of 80N would the tension on the string be the same throughout? Would the centre of the string have a tension of 0?
I think students often get confused because they have only a nebulous idea of exactly what tension is. When you say the tension in the string is, say, 80 N, it means that the string exerts a force of 80 N on whatever it's attached to.

vela said:
I think students often get confused because they have only a nebulous idea of exactly what tension is. When you say the tension in the string is, say, 80 N, it means that the string exerts a force of 80 N on whatever it's attached to.
NOW I understand! Thank you!

AAAA said:

Homework Statement

If you have a string being pulled on each end by 60N, what is the total tension in the string?

Homework Equations

N/A[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in my textbook says 60N, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me (even though it's obviously right). If you're pulling both ends with 60 Newtons of force, why isn't it 120N of force, total, in the string? Why is it that the tension is only 60N? If one end were tied to a fixed object, and the string was pulled by 60N, then the total tension would also be 60, no? So then do you get the same result from pulling the other end rather than keeping it stationary?

If one end were to pulled by 70N, and the other by 60N, would the total tension be 70?

I find tension fairly confusing, and any help would very much appreciated.
The tension in a rope is dependent on the net force and the acceleartion of the system when the two opposing forces are different. What you have to do first is calculate the acceleration of the system.

So, imagine we have masses m1=3 pulling a force of F1=70N left and m2=4 pulling a force of F2=60N right. The net force of the system should be (F1-F2)/(m1+m2). That's an application of netforce=ma (F1+F2 but the two forces are opposing directions). Then, you can use the acceleartion for a net force equation on a system consisting of only mass 1.

So, there is a force left of F1, but the mass 1 is accelerating at a= (F1-F2)/(m1+m2). Therefore, there must be another tension force acting against the 70 newton force (F1) to cause it to accelerate. So, we have the equation F1-Ft=m1(F1-F2)/(m1+m2). Then, Ft=F1-m1(F1-F2)/(m1+m2).

Plugging everything in, we have Ft=70-3(70-60)/(3+4)=65.7N.

Last edited by a moderator:
cryingoverphysics said:
The tension in a rope is dependent on the net force and the acceleartion of the system when the two opposing forces are different. What you have to do first is calculate the acceleration of the system. So, imagine we have masses m1=3 pulling a force of F1=70N left and m2=4 pulling a force of F2=60N right. The net force of the system should be (F1-F2)/(m1+m2). That's an application of netforce=ma (F1+F2 but the two forces are opposing directions). Then, you can use the acceleartion for a net force equation on a system consisting of only mass 1.
So, there is a force left of F1, but the mass 1 is accelerating at a= (F1-F2)/(m1+m2). Therefore, there must be another tension force acting against the 70 newton force (F1) to cause it to accelerate. So, we have the equation F1-Ft=m1(F1-F2)/(m1+m2). Then, Ft=F1-m1(F1-F2)/(m1+m2). Plugging everything in, we have Ft=70-3(70-60)/(3+4)=65.7N.
:welcome:

Note that this thread is five years old.

Likes MatinSAR
cryingoverphysics said:
Plugging everything in, we have Ft=70-3(70-60)/(3+4)=65.7N.
In addition to being a very old thread, we generally do not allow posting of solutions to schoolwork questions -- the student must do the bulk of the work on their homework questions.

But since this thread is so old that the OP already has solved the problem, your post is okay. Welcome to PF. :smile:

Likes MatinSAR