Tension in rope using principle of moments

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marcus27
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moments Principle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Marcus27
Messages
11
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Calculate the tension in the rope, T, in the diagram below: http://imageshack.com/a/img905/2848/yMC01l.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


The 'beam' is a stable structure, thus the resultant forces be equal that are acting upon the beam. So,
I calculated the the Torque from the mass as being 150N * 0.6m + 100N * 0.3m = 110 Nm, setting this equal to the Torque generated by the 'force line' from the rope, T*1.2m = 110Nm, thus T rounded to the nearest Newton is = 92N. I Felt fairly confident with this until my textbook said the tension in the rope is = to 100N. Can anybody clear this up for me and explain where I went wrong, Thanks!.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Marcus27 said:
150N * 0.6m + 100N * 0.3m = 110 Nm
Check your arithmetic, that's "the usual suspect."
 
Ah, thank you. I did not spot that mistake, sorry for wasting your time. Not a great first post on my part o:)
 
Do not let it ruin your day --- we've all been there.