Equilibrium and principle of moments

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving moments and forces. The question asks why the force F was not factored into the solution, and it is clarified that F is only relevant to part (b) of the problem. The solution involves finding an equation for d in terms of F, but since there is only one equation and two unknowns, the problem cannot be solved.
Apple&Orange

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-14_20-34-7.png

Homework Equations

Torque = F x D
Manticlockwise = Mclockwise

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I understand, the moment on left hand side of the pivot point needs to be equal to the moment on right hand side, therefore...

(Fx.2)+(5x.14) = (7xd)

My initial thinking was to substitute 2N into F, so that both forces on either side of pivot point are equal to 7N. However, this was not correct because the resultant forces were not in equilibrium after checking.

The answer in the book was this:
[/B]
upload_2016-5-14_21-16-11.png

Could someone explain to me why F wasn't factored into the working? The way I'm interpreting this is that there is no force acting at point F. Would this be a correct assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a badly worded question to me.

If you read Question (b) it says F replaces the 5N force. So F doesn't exist for question (a) ?

Apple&Orange said:
(Fx.2)+(5x.14) = (7xd)

If F does exist for (a) then that's correct but you can't solve it. You have one equation and two unknowns so best you can do is write an equation for d in terms of F.

Apple&Orange said:
Could someone explain to me why F wasn't factored into the working?
Part (b) explains that F acting at a distance 200mm is used in (b) as the substitute for the 5N force at a distance 140mm.

So the diagram is doing double-duty, and F is relevant only to part (b).

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no change in motion.

2. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of moments, states that in order for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the anticlockwise moments about any point.

3. How is equilibrium achieved?

Equilibrium can be achieved by either adjusting the forces acting on an object or by adjusting the position of the object itself. As long as the forces are balanced, the object will remain in equilibrium.

4. What is the difference between stable, unstable, and neutral equilibrium?

In stable equilibrium, the object returns to its original position when disturbed. In unstable equilibrium, the object does not return to its original position but instead moves away. In neutral equilibrium, the object remains in its new position when disturbed.

5. How is the principle of moments applied in real-life situations?

The principle of moments is used in a variety of fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics, to calculate the forces and moments acting on a structure or object. It is also used in everyday situations, such as balancing a seesaw or hanging a picture frame.