Finding the distance of a sagging mass on rope using tension

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the distance by which a rope sags when an object of mass 3.5 kg is hanging from it. The rope has a length of 17 m and is being pulled with a tension of 55 N. The equations used are F_{net} = ma and D = length of sagging rope. The individual attempting the solution uses theta as the angle and sets it to be the angle at the top right of an upside down obtuse triangle. However, they may have used the wrong trigonometric function as they used tan theta instead of sin theta. A suggestion is made to try using sin theta = D/8.5 and see if that results in the correct solution.
chenying

Homework Statement

An object of mass m = 3.5 kg hangs from the middle of a (massless) rope of length L =17 m, as the drawing illustrates. It is being pulled with tension T =55 N. Calculate the distance D by which the rope sags in the middle

Homework Equations

F[tex]_{net}[/tex] = ma

D = length of sagging rope

L/2 = 8.5 meters

The Attempt at a Solution

So, because the rope is being pulled with a tension of 55 N to keep the object at a certain distance, the tension throughout the string with the mass is 55 N.

I made theta my angle with the horizontal, which is the value I'm trying to find.

The mass is balanced out evenly in the middle, so the two y components of the rope (2Tsin[tex]\Theta[/tex]) would have to equal the weight of the mass, mg.

I have all the variables except for theta, so solving for theta, I get a value of 18.1688 degrees.

I have the length of the rope, 8.5 meters, and the angle, 18.1688 degrees, so I can use tan [tex]\Theta[/tex] = D/8.5

solving for D, I got 2.78954 meters, which was not right.

So, anyone has an idea what I did wrong or how my approach was incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a picture, I think you are using tan theta when you should be using sin theta.

PhanthomJay said:
Without a picture, I think you are using tan theta when you should be using sin theta.

Sorry for not having a picture, but I set my theta to be the angle at the top right. Imagine that there was an upside down obtuse triangle, with the mass in the middle, and the angle is the one that is horizontal to the triangle.

Sorry again that I don't have a picture, but can anyone help? I don't know what it is I did wrong.

Try [tex]sin \theta = D/8.5[/tex] and see if that works. I think the 8.5 m length of rope is measured along the diagonal. D is the vertical 'height' (sag) of your upside down obtuse triangle.

Q: What is the purpose of finding the distance of a sagging mass on a rope using tension?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the distance that a mass will sag on a rope when subjected to a certain amount of tension. This can be useful in real-world applications such as construction, where knowing the sagging distance of a rope can help ensure the safety and stability of structures.

Q: How is the tension on the rope measured?

Tension on the rope can be measured using a variety of tools such as a spring scale, a dynamometer, or a force gauge. These tools measure the force applied to the rope and can provide a numerical value for the tension.

Q: What factors can affect the distance of sagging on the rope?

The distance of sagging on a rope can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the mass, the length and thickness of the rope, and the amount of tension applied. Other factors such as the elasticity of the rope and external forces can also play a role.

Q: How do you calculate the distance of sagging on the rope?

The distance of sagging on a rope can be calculated using the formula: d = (WL^2)/(8T), where d is the distance of sagging, W is the weight of the mass, L is the length of the rope, and T is the tension applied. This formula assumes a uniform distribution of weight and a perfectly elastic rope.

Q: What safety precautions should be taken when conducting this experiment?

When conducting this experiment, it is important to follow safety precautions to prevent any injuries. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring the weight of the mass does not exceed the capacity of the rope, and keeping a safe distance from the rope when it is under tension. It is also important to have a clear space and to carefully handle the equipment to avoid any accidents.