Tension Problem: Lifting Yourself

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a man can lift a platform by pulling on a rope attached to a frictionless pulley system. The equation T - Ft = ma is proposed as a solution, but it is determined that this is not correct due to Newton's 3rd law. Further research is done and it is concluded that the correct equation is F = (mg + Mg)/2, where F is the minimum tension required to lift the platform.
joshk_bra

Homework Statement

Lifting yourself. A man stands on a platform as shown in the figure below, and pulls up
on a rope that winds through a frictionless pulley attached to the platform. The other end
of the rope is attached to the ceiling. The mass of the man is m, and the combined mass of
the platform and pulley is M. Can the man lift the platform off the ground if he pulls hard
enough? If so, find the minimum tension required to give the platform a positive (upward)
acceleration, thus lifting it off the floor.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k...yHomework003pdf-AdobeReader.jpg?t=1284942733"

Homework Equations

M = Pulley and Platform total mass

m = Mass of the man

The Attempt at a Solution

Well in class i didn't learn that about tension on a pulley system. But I believe the only forces acting on this is the total weight(m + M), Tension, and Gravity

so i was thinking the equation would loo something like T - Ft = ma?

Im not to sure about my equation, but i was wondering if someone would help me out with this problem

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think so. If he was to pull on the rope, the force that he puts on the rope would be transferred downwards on the platform he is trying to pull up.

So if he exerts 500 N of force pulling the rope up, it doesn't matter. It's equalled out by force pushing the platform down exerted by the man.

Newton's 3rd law.

Well i did more research and from it, i got that the 2 ropes are pulling up on the block and that they are equal( F and T).

so F + T = 2F = mg + Mg or F = (mg + Mg)/2.

Mg + mg is the total weight
Is this correct?

1. What is a "tension problem" in lifting yourself?

A tension problem in lifting yourself refers to the physics concept of tension, which is the force applied to an object in order to stretch or elongate it. In this context, it relates to the forces acting on your body when attempting to lift yourself up.

2. Why is it difficult to lift yourself up?

Lifting yourself up is difficult because of the tension problem mentioned above. In order to lift yourself, you need to apply a force greater than your own weight, which requires a significant amount of strength. Additionally, your muscles must work against the force of gravity, making it even more challenging.

3. What factors affect the tension problem in lifting yourself?

Several factors can affect the tension problem in lifting yourself. These include your body weight, the strength of your muscles, and the angle and position of your body. The surface you are trying to lift yourself off of can also impact the tension problem.

4. How can I overcome the tension problem when lifting myself?

To overcome the tension problem when lifting yourself, you can try using a pulley system or leverage to reduce the amount of force needed. Additionally, building up your strength and using proper form can also help. It is important to be cautious and not attempt to lift yourself if you are not confident in your abilities to do so safely.

5. Is it possible to lift yourself without any external assistance?

While it is technically possible to lift yourself without any external assistance, it is extremely difficult and requires a significant amount of strength. In most cases, it is safer and more effective to use some form of external assistance, such as a sturdy object to pull yourself up with or a pulley system.