1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension Problem x and y components?

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    Tension Problem x and y components??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A man of mass 70.0 kg hangs by 2 cables A and B each inclined at 60.0 degrees to the horizontal.

A horizontal pulling force F is applied to the man pulling to the right. The man remains stationary. If F has magnitude 250 N, find the magnitudes of the tension in the 2 cables.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(70 kg)(9.8)=686 N
    the downward W force is 686 N

I know there is a system of equations here and that i can use substitution or trigonometric triangles but im not sure how to approach either of these methods. Any help would be great. Sorry i don't have a picture, i hope it makes sense.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Evaluate the cos and sin terms, and one has two equations and two unknowns, which one should be able to solve.
  4. Sep 28, 2007 #3
    hmm sorry it still doesnt make sense to me im not sure how to put B in terms of A or A in terms of B and then after i find these numbers how to go about finding the tensions of the cables.
  5. Sep 28, 2007 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all the weight is negative (sin270, right?)

Now turn all those sins and cos's into decimals, and rewrite the first equation so that it reads " A = blablablah + B(blah)"

then substitute that for the "A" in the second equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?