1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensions of cable over a pulley

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    In the figure attached, we have one section which has three bars all pin-connected together and pin fixed on the ground. We have two pulleys connected with the section by string. And we have one string starting from the left fixed pin to the right fixed pin. I am thinking whether the tension along the string will be same or not. I am imagining that, it is a single string with two concentrated loads(Excerted by pulley), so it is not the same. can you help me justify that

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No figure is attached to your post.

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    Here it goes:)

Attached Files:

5. Nov 27, 2013 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

If the pulleys are ideal frictionless pulleys and the string is an ideal massless string, then the tension in the string will be the same everywhere. If it weren't, then some point in the string would experience a greater pull from one side than the other and would be accelerating - and that's not happening.

6. Nov 27, 2013 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@aerograce.
    Your diagram has nothing in it to cause a force - if we are assuming that everything is 'ideal'(massless and frictionless). You would really need to put a load somewhere and then you could calculate the forces on the pulley supports, for instance, and the tension all along the string could be assumed to be the same.
    We are assuming that the system is in equilibrium??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook