Tensor equations / nonlinear transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses tensor equations and their transformation in different coordinate systems. It is noted that if the equation is true in one coordinate system, it will be true in all of them. The components of the tensors can be found in any frame by transforming them, including the metric. However, it is mentioned that this may not work for nonlinear transformations and a different approach may be needed. The equation for transformation in both linear and nonlinear cases is also provided.
JustinLevy
I have some fairly basic (hopefully) questions about tensor equations. Hopefully someone here can help out.

Let us say I have a tensor equation, (I will use this as the example for discussion: [tex]A^{u} = b C^{uv}D_{v}[/tex]).

If this is true in one coordinate system, it will be true in all of them correct?

Now if I know the components of A,C,D in one frame (as well as the metric in this frame), then I can find the components of A,C,D in any other frame by transforming them, correct?

Can I get the metric in this new frame by transforming the metric like a normal tensor as well (it does not seem to work in general... maybe I am making mistakes)?

How do nonlinear transformations work? (For instance if I wanted to find A,C,D in an accelerated frame.) Since the transformation tensor just gives a linear transformation ... it seems to suggest that I need the metric to no longer be a constant in the frame!? Or does it work some other way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If A is the tensor in x,y coordinates and A' is the same tensor in x',y' coordinates, then
[tex]A'= \frac{\partial x'}{\partial x}\frac{\partial y'}{\partial y}A[/tex]
That works for linear or non-linear transformations. For a linear transformation the partial derivatives would be represented by a matrix having the coefficients as entries. For a non-linear transformation, the entries in the matrix will be functions of position.

1. What are tensor equations?

Tensor equations are mathematical expressions that involve tensors, which are mathematical objects used to represent physical quantities that have multiple components and behave differently under coordinate transformations. Tensor equations are used in physics and engineering to describe the laws of nature and the behavior of physical systems.

2. How are tensor equations different from regular equations?

Tensor equations are different from regular equations because they involve tensors, which have multiple components and change under coordinate transformations. In contrast, regular equations involve scalar quantities, which do not change under coordinate transformations. Tensor equations also have specific rules for manipulating and solving them, such as using tensor calculus and Einstein's summation convention.

3. What is a nonlinear transformation?

A nonlinear transformation is a function that does not have a constant rate of change, meaning it cannot be represented by a straight line. In physics, nonlinear transformations are often used to describe systems that do not behave in a linear or predictable way, such as chaotic systems or systems with complex interactions.

4. How are nonlinear transformations related to tensor equations?

Nonlinear transformations are often used in tensor equations to describe the behavior of physical systems that involve multiple variables and complex interactions. Nonlinear transformations can help simplify and solve tensor equations by reducing the number of variables and making the equations more manageable. Additionally, tensor equations can also be used to describe the behavior of nonlinear transformations themselves.

5. How are tensor equations and nonlinear transformations used in real-world applications?

Tensor equations and nonlinear transformations have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, they are used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, relativity, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to model and analyze complex systems. Additionally, tensor equations and nonlinear transformations are used in computer graphics and computer vision to manipulate and analyze images and 3D objects.