1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation Properties of a tensor

1. Feb 16, 2014 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##D_{ijk}## is an array with ##3^3## elements, which is not known to represent a tensor. If for every symmetric tensor represented by ##a_{jk}## $$b_i = D_{ijk}a_{jk},$$ represents a vector, what can be said about the transformation properties under rotations of the coordinate axes of ##D_{ijk}## and ##D_{ijk} + D_{ikj}##?

2. Relevant equations
    Transformation between vector components in frame S' and components in frame S, where the rotation matrix ##L## takes ##S \rightarrow S'## is ##b_i' = l_{ij}b_j##

Quotient Theorem to identify tensors.

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##D_{ijk}## may be represented as a matrix of size 3 x 3. Can I interpret the coordinate axes to mean, for example, the standard Cartesian axes?

$$b_i' = D_{ijk}' a_{jk}' = l_{ij}b_j = l_{ij}D_{jlm}a_{lm} = l_{ij} D_{jlm}a_{ml}\,\,\,\,(1)$$ using that ##a_{lm}## is a symmetric tensor.

Since ##a_{jk}## is a second rank tensor, it obeys the transformation law; ##a_{jk}' = l_{j\alpha}l_{k \beta} a_{\alpha \beta}##. Since the rotation matrix ##L## satisfies ##LL^{T} = I##, we have that ##l_{\beta k} l_{\alpha j}a_{jk}' = a_{\alpha \beta}## so then subbing into (1) gives$$l_{ij}D_{jlm} a_{ml} = l_{ij}D_{jlm} l_{lk}l_{mj}a_{jk}'$$
    which is equal to $$l_{ij} (l_{jm})^{T} D_{jlm} l_{lk} a_{jk}' = D_{ijl}l_{lk} a_{jk}' = b_i'$$ using ##LL^T = I##. I am not really sure if this result helps or not. I think the aim of the question is to show using the transformation properties of a second rank symmetric tensor and a vector that ##D_{ijk}## is also a tensor, but I am not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Can anyone give me a hint on how to progress?
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted