1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor of inertia - hollow cube.

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have found the tensor of inertia of a rectangle of sides a and b and mass m, around its center, to be I11=ma2/12, I22=mb2/12, I33=(ma2 + mb2)/12. All other elements of that tensor are equal to zero. I would now like to use this result to determine the tensor of inertia of a hollow cube of side a around its center of mass.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I realise I have to use the parallel axis theorem. I have hence tried the following:
    I11=ma2/12 + m(a/2)2, which yielded the wrong answer.
    I know that the correct equation is I11=I22=I33=ma2/12+ma2/12+ma2/6+4(ma2/12 + m(a/2)2)=5/3*ma2
    I simply do not understand why this is correct. Could anyone please explain why this is the correct way to calculate the desired tensor of inertia? Also, why would I be summing all the diagonal elements in my tensor for the rectangle?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Doesn't this give the contribution of only one of the sides of the cube? What about the other sides?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted